Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Information Before I Buy a Treadle >

Need Information Before I Buy a Treadle

Need Information Before I Buy a Treadle

Old 03-28-2013, 12:10 PM

Default Need Information Before I Buy a Treadle

I'm looking at a treadle sewing machine. The lady says it's a Singer in great condition with not rust or damage to the cabinet. Sorry the pic is not good but can you tell how old this one is and what it would be worth in working condition? Thanks to all here that are always so helpful when we need it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]404934[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails treadle-sewing-machine-1.jpg  
Old 03-28-2013, 12:31 PM

I looks like possibly a White Rotary sewing machine, though it is in a Singer base. To some people anything treadle is a Singer. Age is difficult to determine, but the serial # and brand might help. As is commonly said- the worth is whatever you are willing to pay. Check your local Craigslist for sample prices- ignore anything over $100. Be sure whatever you buy has the shuttle and at least one bobbin, and hopefully some attachments and needles. Instruction manuals can be found for free online. Be sure the machine moves freely when you turn the handwheel.

To bring one home it is advisable to remove the machine from the base to avoid a disaster of tipping over or falling off the hinges and smashing the case. It may just lift off the hinge pin when tilted back, or need to have a tiny slot screw underneath pinning it that can be easily unscrewed without removing the hinge from the base. Lay the base down in the car and prop it to avoid it slamming into the back of your head or breaking out a window. Dump everything out of the drawers into a cookie tin or something to be Sure you aren't bringing home mice to nest in your car vents. Very expensive to deal with! Watch out for razor blades. Head on over to the vintage and antique section of the Board for lots of friendly help.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:07 PM

I agree with Monroe about it being a rotary machine not a Singer. Basically prices vary regionally. Don't let them tell you it is rare as they are not. For one in working condition I would not pay over $100 and that would have to be in very good condition.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:53 AM

I have 2 Singer RedEyes and I paid $25.00 for one and the other was a gift. Average price in the midwest is 25-50 depending on condition.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:38 PM

It is a White Rotary in a White cabinet. When the machine is lowered into the cabinet a panel will drop down in the front of the cabinet to hide the 'x' of the treadle irons. It may say 'White' written out in little twigs or it may be plain. The panel is sometimes missing; if it is missing I would take it in to account when making an offer because the likelihood of finding one is pretty slim. If the top of the cabinet is in good shape and the cabinet and machine is complete it is worth 50.00 to 100.00. Whites are really nice machines. Parts, needles, and feet are readily available so no worries on that front. They do run backwards from a Singer. On a Singer you turn the hand wheel toward the front to sew, on a White you push it to the rear.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:44 PM

I don't know that much about them, however my treadle has 3 drawers on each side if I remember. It's in the basement, but, on the iron work it does say Singer. I agree with another post, $100.00 max......calla