Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need laser for pantograph >

need laser for pantograph

need laser for pantograph

Old 10-22-2016, 05:40 PM

Question need laser for pantograph

The switch on my longarm Gracie laser pointer quit and other than buy a new one at +$50 I'm looking for other alternatives. What does everyone else use for pantographs and how is it attached? I have a Queen Quilter which is the same as a Tin Lizzie & the encoders or the quilt always got in the way of the beam from the old laser & I would like to position another one where it is more visible. I have been looking at generic lasers but many of them have a pressure button rather than an off/on switch besides which the batteries are very short lived, lasting a very short time. Being on a fixed income I would rather buy fabric than spend $ on add-ons that although needed do not last long. The laser that quit had only been used a few times. I know there are many experienced long armers on this board that can offer suggestions or tell me what they use. Someone on another site said Qbot has a new one but it is only for computerized machines & mine is not. Thanks to everyone.

Sandee in Mo
Old 10-22-2016, 07:42 PM

I read where there is one at Home Depot or the National Warehouse that carpenters use but I never checked it out yet.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:24 AM

If it's just the switch, see if it can be replaced by a switch bought at Radio Shack. Several of my Gammill parts can be bought inexpensively at Radio Shack and replaced by the owner, like the front and back hand control buttons. Gammill deliberately made their longarms that way---maybe yours is the same. Another place you may be able to find the switch is at Lowe's or other home warehouse. See if you can take the switch off and take it with you for comparison. Good luck.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:21 AM

Thanks to all, no solution yet, but maybe I'll have a brilliant idea that will work, if so, I'll share it, others have to have this issue.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:10 AM

Well if you don't want a battery operated laser - and they can last quite awhile before battery replacement, you might consider looking into what was used before lasers...it was called a stylus...perhaps you could rig one up on your setup.....it was simply an adjustable vertical aluminum pointer that traveled along with your sewing head and "pointed" at the panto lines.....tells you how long I've had a L/A.....
Old 10-23-2016, 05:25 AM

Hey Geri, you are not the only one to have used a stylus before a laser! A stylus would not be as accurate as a laser, but would work in a pinch.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:34 AM

Could you use a laser pointer from an office supply store? If memory serves, they're $5 or $10. You'd just have to get creative with attaching it to your machine. Magnets, or duct tape, or first aid tape...
Old 10-23-2016, 08:57 AM

Harbor Freight also has a laser pointer that can attach to a machine.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:14 PM

I have a Crystal Quilter and the laser has the push button that you have to hold down for the light to stay on. It came with a metal ring that slides down the laser and is just tight enough to keep the button pushed in. Just move it up when you are done and the light goes off. I have heard that there are some that plug into the machine and go on and off with the machine, but haven't found one yet. Ann