Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a free pantograph... >

Need a free pantograph...

Need a free pantograph...

Old 05-24-2014, 10:08 AM

Default Need a free pantograph...

By tomorrow. A friend is letting me use her shorter arm Juki machine to quilt a small lap quilt for my granddaughters graduation and I am looking for a 5-6" repeat design. Any ideas or links? Thanks for your help!
Old 05-24-2014, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

here are some free ones. You will have to check the sizes...
https://www.urbanelementz.com/shop/category/free-stuff/
Old 05-24-2014, 11:51 AM

Love2, have you quilted on a track mounted system before? I found pantographs VERY difficult at 1st. You have to have good control of the machine's movement...starting and stopping one someone ELSE's line. If this was my 1st time, I would practice on a big white board...just a big meander or leaf. Don't put your elbow down, you are teaching your arm and shoulders the movement. If you put your elbow down, you are teaching your hand and wrist.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:51 PM

thank you for that advice I'm new, Just got a frame for my semi industrial machine and it has a metal stylus but I'm going to try the drawing on a white board first before I do a pantograph

Old 01-28-2020, 09:39 PM

Before I stitch a pantograph, I move the machine across like I'm quilting the quilt, but don't turn the machine on. Just follow the design with the machine all the way across. By the time I get all the way across, I've usually got it figured out pretty good.

Remember to plan how you will end. I tape a ruler across the pantograph where the quilt will end. Then I have a vinyl strip that goes over the panto so I can draw on it, any changes I want to make with a dry erase marker. Sometimes I want to add arrows, so I don't get confused about which direction I'm going.

http://www.designsbyvickie.com/ has a lot of free designs.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Before I stitch a pantograph, I move the machine across like I'm quilting the quilt, but don't turn the machine on. Just follow the design with the machine all the way across. By the time I get all the way across, I've usually got it figured out pretty good.
I agree with this. Just started using pantos myself in the last few months and found it pretty easy to do. You may want to start with a fairly open panto, this will help hide any 'oops-I-got-off-track' slips.

I found it easy to download free pantos, I did a search for "quilting pantographs" and found several websites. Most of them have a "sort by price" feature so it's easy to find the free ones. Urban Elementz has some really pretty free ones. I like Anne Bright designs, but there is no way to sort by price, unfortunately. Not even sure if they have free ones, tbh.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:21 AM

I found pantographs to be difficult to work with as strange as that may sound. The first line always went well, but then my spacing between the first and second line and additional lines were off no matter what I did to correct it. Maybe someone reading this can give me an idea? Otherwise I simply stick to a stipple or loop design.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-29-2020 at 08:59 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps