Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need a little help finding pattern

Need a little help finding pattern

I have probably posted this before, but, now I really need to start on this quilt. It is for my grandaughter's wedding and need by July. She wants Bohemian style; I already have one layer cake of batiks and two charm packs (all same pattern) from MSQC. I know I will have to buy more, but does anyone have a picture or name of a pattern that I could incorporate these into? I need it pretty simple too, and don't really want to waste any of the fabric I have. Is this asking too much? LOL.

Hi, Sash.

Can you tell us your skill level, and if you will be hand or machine quilting? I love batiks as they are rich colors. Will this be on the light side, or darker?
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Go to you tube. In the search type in quiltfabric.com. The second video down is called Chris Cross. It is done with a layer cake. I have done this one and it is quick to do. You could use the charms for border.
    Quilt Gram

I guess I am an intermediate quilter; have done a "few". Here is the fabric (hopefully). Thanks quilt gram, I will go there. I just watched a MSQC tutorial on the Double slice quilt. I think I may like that one.
    https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...iks-charm-pack

Blog Entries
    If you ask Mr google for pictures then try to find your quilt you picture is best for you

Thank you Quilt Gram for telling us about the CrissCross quilt on You Tube. Love the quilt and IMO it would be perfect for showing off the distinct colors of Sash's fabric. And talk about quick and easy! I just got a batik layer cake and this might be what I use it for. Sash, please do take a look at Quilt Gram's suggestion. Hope you love it as fast as I did.

QM
    There are a number of good layer cake patterns on You Tube from MSQC and others,

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sash View Post
    I guess I am an intermediate quilter; have done a "few". Here is the fabric (hopefully). Thanks quilt gram, I will go there. I just watched a MSQC tutorial on the Double slice quilt. I think I may like that one.
    very pretty fabrics.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Hi Sash, I looked at your fabric and it is very pretty. If you're trying to make a quilt that looks Bohemian, how about making a crazy quilt. It would be fun, forgivng, quick, easy, creative, and unconventional. You could find inspiration for other fabric you might potentially purchase by looking at images of Bohemian fashion online. I personally would incorporate a few fabrics with gold tones, and maybe some off-white shades for contrast. And if you've never made a crazy quilt before, YouTube has many tutorials.

Nope, I have never made a crazy quilt; I've sort of tried, but didn't do too well for me. Maybe I should try again. I'll go on you tube and check some out. Thanks for your input.

I remembered this one from Moda Bakeshop. Maybe this would fit the bill. It is made with fat quarters but maybe layer cakes would work. It could just be the fabric that reads Bohemian to me tho. Especially with that border fabric

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2017/01/...und-quilt.html
    Last edited by sydneybean; 04-17-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Thanks for leading us to that video Boston. That is a great quilt pattern for a quick and easy quilt. Sash, I also think that would look great with your fabric.

I was curious about what a "Bohemian Quilt" might be, so did a quick Google search. Of course, there are a few different versions. Just wondered if you have asked her what she means by "Bohemian", I would sure have to. Is it colors, pattern, design? Anyway, if it helps, I thought greenfairyquiltsblog.com had a pretty pattern and then frenchgeneral.com Haute-Bohemian pattern is great and completely different than greenfairy's. Your fabric is beautiful and I wish you the best with your special quilt.

I've made the Criss Cross pattern before and it is very easy, but I didn't care for the narrow strips. The Ten Pack by Laura Shifrin uses a wider strip and I like it better. Also extremely easy to make. https://laurieshifrindesigns.files.w...tterncover.jpg

Check out this simple beauty. It really lets the batiks shine.
    https://www.anniescatalog.com/detail...37&cat_id=1430
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

check out moda bake shop and click on the layer cake or charm pack on the right hand column. You will find lots of choices!

www.modabakeshop.com
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
    I was curious about what a "Bohemian Quilt" might be, so did a quick Google search. Of course, there are a few different versions. Just wondered if you have asked her what she means by "Bohemian", I would sure have to. Is it colors, pattern, design? Anyway, if it helps, I thought greenfairyquiltsblog.com had a pretty pattern and then frenchgeneral.com Haute-Bohemian pattern is great and completely different than greenfairy's. Your fabric is beautiful and I wish you the best with your special quilt.
    I would certainly ask what she means be "Bohemian". It's a pretty general term really and could mean a lot of things.
    Patrice S

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    not sure of the difficulty level, but my choice for Bohemian would be Jenn Kingwell's Gypsy Wife pattern--think it would look spectacular with your precuts and maybe the long strips in white and black solids. Google the image to see what I mean. Because the blocks are different sizes, I think your precuts would work well. And with the white & black stripes, there should be no worry about not enough fabric.

I think crazy quilt patterns are a great idea. I made a few crazy quilt blocks using the 5 sided plastic template and it was really fun. I made them for my cousin as she had embroidery blocks she wanted to highlight and it worked out really well. I used repo 30's fabric. I think you would like to do this as it is really easy and forgiving on any mistakes. Good luck on whatever you chose to do.

I would suggest you go to the Riley Blake website and look at the free patterns. Just spent an hour looking and downloading and printing. The range is fantastic and I'll bet you'll find something that you like.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

I agree that a crazy quilt would give you the best look you are looking for.

KLO
    Blog Entries
    How about the Double Slice Layer Cake? Found this while looking at a link for another quilt that someone posted for you. It might work with your batiks but I really don't know if you would call it Bohemian or not as I don't know what the means. Anyway, there are around 10 videos or so to show how to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUAPnHum-yA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sash View Post
    Hello, I also consider myself intermediate. So far I have made and quilted 3 of the double slice quilts, they are quick, easy and fun to do. That would be a good choice. I have several other quilt tops ive done but not quilted but these were the easiest and fastest to do and I have got a lot of compliments on them.

I love the double slice quilt that Jenny Doan gives directions for on youtube. I have probably made a dozen or more of them.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I think I would just use large squares and put sashing around each one, then join them all in one quilt . Here is a bohemian quilt and pillow shamsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Bohemian-Floral-Real-Patchwork-Quilt-Set.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	571807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bohemian-Floral-Real-Patchwork-Quilt-Set.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	571807
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ