Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need long strips for border >

need long strips for border

need long strips for border

Old 09-04-2010, 07:10 PM

Hi all, This might be a silly question but I am making a quilt that calls for 2 x 66 in strips for borders. How would you go about doing that? I figured I would need to piece two strips together and if so can I just sew the ends together (I cut off the selvedge) or do I have to sew the seam on the diagonal? The quilt is Grace Pattern by Paula Barnes if that helps. THANKS! Kim
Old 09-04-2010, 07:13 PM

I usually cut my fabrics width of fabric, so they would be 42-44" long. My recommendation would be cut 3 strips at 2" wide, trim off all the selvages and cut the 3rd strip in half and sew to the ends of the others. If your fabric is not 44" you may need a 4th strip.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Power Poster

I piece my borders, but I do always sew on a diagonal like binding. It seems to stretch less, and really makes it harder to see the seam. I am sure there are a lot of people that simply make a seam, but I find it hard to change my ways.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:17 PM

I also like to sew a diagonal seam when piecing for borders or sashing - it just seems to blend in better.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:21 PM

Wow...thanks so much for the quick responses. Quilters are awesome :) and I appreciate the help!
Old 09-04-2010, 07:23 PM

I have sewn a couple pieces together with a diagonal seam and I really prefer the straight seam. Like most things, everyone has their preferences. Try the diagonal seam and if you like it great, or if you want try the straight seam and see if that is the look you want.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:38 PM

I always cut borders on the length and I like the diagonal seam. Whichever one you personally prefer is the right one.
Have fun!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:59 PM

If I have no other diagonal seams in the quilt, then I don't put diagonal seams in borders. I go with whatever blends in better with the geometry of the quilt.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:08 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I have sewn a couple pieces together with a diagonal seam and I really prefer the straight seam. Like most things, everyone has their preferences. Try the diagonal seam and if you like it great, or if you want try the straight seam and see if that is the look you want.
I prefer the straight seam as well. I also leave a full strip in the center and add onto both ends. I guess I'm too rigid....
Old 09-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Power Poster

You really have 2 choices:

1. Purchase enough fabric so you can cut the border width for each side to the length (in this case you need 66" (or a little more to allow for unevenness in the cut).

2. You can cut the fabric cross-width and sew the two pieces together AFTER trimming the selvage. (I always take off the selvage because it is a tighter weave) I generally do not like to sew the border pieces on the diagonal. I sew straight acress and unless it is important to match a pattern, I don't even care where I cut them. If you piece your border it is nice to plan where the seam will be on the top. Some experts suggest not to plan it where the quilt will be folded. I'm usually not that worried about that.