Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a new iron.... >

Need a new iron....

Need a new iron....

Old 02-25-2023, 04:09 AM

I like the Rowenta brand. I have a Rowenta Pro Master - I like the stainless steel plate. I usually use it as a dry iron, even though it is a steam iron. I occassionally use steam, but very rarely as it does a really good job just using it as a dry iorn. It is a heavy iron, that gets very hot, which why I like it so much. It is 1775 watts. Note: that this one is a full size iron. I haven't tried any of the smaller irons as I prefer the full size.

If you pick out an iron to use as a dry iron, make sure you get high enough wattage so that the iron will get hot enough. One reason I also like the stainless steel plate is that it always is an easy glide on the fabric and is easy to clean if needed.

There have been issues with people saying their irons spit when on steam, but I found that if you let the steam iron get hot before you start using it, then there are no issues. You also need to let it get hot again once it goes through the auto shutoff, or it will spit if you use it too soon once you move it to turn it back on. I found as long as I do that, when using it for steam, I don't have any spitting issues.
Old 02-25-2023, 04:44 AM

I also have the Steamfast mini. It gets pretty hot. Don't know how long it would last using everyday but it has lasted several years going to four 3-4 day retreats a year, and a monthly Sit and Sew, with occasional use at home.
Old 02-25-2023, 04:55 AM

I have a Rowenta small travel iron, I've had it for 7 or 8 years. Works great and I've had no problems with it. I do not use steam, seems like every iron I've used steam with spit it out and made a mess so I quilt using steam.
Old 02-25-2023, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

I have the Steamfast from Walmart. Not in the fabric section, they are different irons. Steamfast will be where the bigger irons are sold in the I think the home section. I bought one for a guild door prize last week and it was $13. I bought three when they were $10. One by my machine, one in my retreat bag, and one by my big ironing table. I have the Clover mini wedge iron and my grands use it on the tabletop ironing board. Kids love to iron.
Old 02-25-2023, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

The only big iron I will ever buy again is the steam generated iron. No water in the iron to spurt, leak, or drip. I have the Reliable Maven. It is over three years old and not one problem and original filter is still showing clean. I bought it during a black friday event at the Reliable website and I remember it was free shipping from Canada.
Old 02-25-2023, 06:24 AM

I've tried many, including the Oliso mini.

If you do not use steam, the Oliso might work well for you. I am a steamer, and the incredibly small tank was the reason I gave the iron to my friend. For my use, I had to refill it constantly.

The Rowenta travel iron handle broke fairly quickly while I was at a retreat. Several others experienced the same.

The one that doesn't have a regular handle but has a knob kind of thing that is held in your palm was cumbersome for me. The cord was constantly in my way.

Yes, I have tried many over the years!

Now, I have a Conair EZ Press from Amazon. It's not a full size iron, but is shaped like one and has a reasonably sized tank. It isn't the cheapest iron, but has held up well for me and completely fits my needs. It does NOT have an auto off feature, so must be careful. https://www.amazon.com/Conair-Press-.../dp/B0015QXFQ4
Old 02-25-2023, 06:47 AM

I have the Oliso Mini and I love it. I use it on a wooden tray table with my wool mat on by my machine and it is prefect for me.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The only big iron I will ever buy again is the steam generated iron. No water in the iron to spurt, leak, or drip. I have the Reliable Maven. It is over three years old and not one problem and original filter is still showing clean. I bought it during a black friday event at the Reliable website and I remember it was free shipping from Canada.
I have a Laura Star steam generator. I really like it. This is my second one. The first one lasted for over 10 years and I was using a lot of steam because I was doing a lot of clothing construction then. I've had the second one 4 years or so now.

I did get a little Reliable iron that I take to quilting bees that I really like. I got it for $18 from MSQC.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 02-25-2023 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:11 PM

I have the Steam-Fast mini. It's a good iron, heats up fast. I don't put water in it. If I want steam I use a mister bottle to dampen the fabric. Only thing I don't like about the Steam Fast Mini is that it doesn't have a handle like a regular iron. It's just got indents in the sides so you put your palm on the top and grip the sides with your fingers. Holding it takes some getting used to. I've gotten comfortable using it to iron short seams when putting together blocks and have it set up for that purpose on a small wool mat beside my sewing machine. However, when ironing long seams like on borders once they're stitched to the quilt it feels awkward and sometimes a bit insecure in my hand. For long seams, or getting wrinkles out of yardage before cutting I use a cheap 20+ year old full size Black and Decker that I don't put water in- use mister bottle to dampen fabric if I want steam.

Rob
Old 02-26-2023, 04:21 AM

I like my cordless iron. Panasonic. My cord was always in my way when ironing, so this is what I tried when replacing old iron. Did anyone else need to replace iron because tip was broken from dropping?