Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need new sewing machine=which one? >

Need new sewing machine=which one?

Need new sewing machine=which one?

Old 02-26-2010, 06:55 AM

Most of the quilt shows here are selling them between 12,000 and 14,000, but it is an embroidery frame upgrade not a quilting frame, because it is considered an embroidery machine. Our local Bernina has it for 11,800, but our sales tax is 9.875.
Originally Posted by nursie76
I have seen the new 830 for $10,000. I think the higher prices are with the frame.

I was looking at the Brother Quattro which has some of the same pluses as the 830 and it is $9,000. So If I had my choice I probably would go with the Bernina. but since both are really out of my price range, I don't have to worry about deciding, ;-)
Old 02-26-2010, 07:02 AM

I have the Janome "My Excell" 4123 and LOVE IT!
Old 02-26-2010, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by shaverg
Most of the quilt shows here are selling them between 12,000 and 14,000, but it is an embroidery frame upgrade not a quilting frame, because it is considered an embroidery machine. Our local Bernina has it for 11,800, but our sales tax is 9.875.
Originally Posted by nursie76
I have seen the new 830 for $10,000. I think the higher prices are with the frame.

I was looking at the Brother Quattro which has some of the same pluses as the 830 and it is $9,000. So If I had my choice I probably would go with the Bernina. but since both are really out of my price range, I don't have to worry about deciding, ;-)
Wow & people grip about Texas. Ours is 8.25%. I knew things in California were more expensive.

w
Old 02-26-2010, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

I have 5 machines. I have 2 Juki TL 98QEs, what I use for quilting $699.00 comes with heavy duty feet,FMQ,compensating foot - for 1/4" seam, walking foot,straight foot, large throat, all metal parts and workhorses. They are straight stitch only and do what I want them to do. Great machine for the money. I bought both online. I FMQ all my quilts and some straight stitch quilting. They work great for me.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:20 AM

I agree with pieces. Do not overlook used machines. I went to my local dealer to inquire about an old machine I have to get it serviced. He sells new and used machines. I left with a Bernina - a woman had bought it, kept it a week and returned it for something else. The parts were still in the factory sealed bags! I got a new machine at a used price and have never been happier with this machine!
Old 02-26-2010, 08:26 AM

Welcome from MI. I don't know much about Bernina but hear they are great machines. I have a BabyLock and absolutely love it. Has all the features I'm looking for. That's what you want to compare. If you can afford a high-end machine, then look at all of them and see what they can and can't do. I looked at the Viking Diamond to discover it has the old version of threading. My BabyLock has an advanced threading system that works 99% of the time. The next one up from mine has automatic threading - cost $4000 and great embroidery editing features. There are other features on the B/L I prefer over the other brands so it's personal preference depending on what you want to do with it.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by schwanton
I agree with pieces. Do not overlook used machines. I went to my local dealer to inquire about an old machine I have to get it serviced. He sells new and used machines. I left with a Bernina - a woman had bought it, kept it a week and returned it for something else. The parts were still in the factory sealed bags! I got a new machine at a used price and have never been happier with this machine!
Awesome!!!!!! You hit the jackpot!
Old 02-26-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
I have 5 machines. I have 2 Juki TL 98QEs, what I use for quilting $699.00 comes with heavy duty feet,FMQ,compensating foot - for 1/4" seam, walking foot,straight foot, large throat, all metal parts and workhorses. They are straight stitch only and do what I want them to do. Great machine for the money. I bought both online. I FMQ all my quilts and some straight stitch quilting. They work great for me.
A friend owns a embroidery design, letter jacket, patches & screen printing company. They do some sewing too & have Juki machines. They look old & I have never seen them down so they must be pretty good machines.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by soleegirl
i bought a Bernina 440 quilters edition last june. LOVE IT . got the embroidery module too. worth the bucks
My other one was a 35 year old Sears Kenmore .
Sometimes you just gotta do it.
looked at a bernina 830 , 12 grand BUT had lots of accessories to go with it... i wish now i would have taken the plunge, although the 440 QE has the BSR and several other things included in the $5200 price range AND no sales taxis still great for what i do
Old 02-26-2010, 09:01 AM

i bought a Bernina 440 quilters edition last june. LOVE IT . got the embroidery module too. worth the bucks
My other one was a 35 year old Sears Kenmore .
Sometimes you just gotta do it.
looked at a bernina 830 , 12 grand BUT had lots of accessories to go with it... i wish now i would have taken the plunge, although the 440 QE has the BSR and several other things included in the $5200 price range AND no sales taxis still great for what i do
Yeah, would love the 830, but not gonna happen...unless I win the lottery :-) Got my 440QE last June, used for about 1/2 price of a new one. It is awesome...went back and got the embroidery module and am having such fun with it!