Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need a pattern idea for strips/rows of dinosaurs

Hi Everyone,

I have a 7 yo grandson who just loves all things dinosaurs. So, I'm on task to find a pattern that will easily incorporate the below strips of dinosaurs.

This fabric seems to lend itself to being cut into rows/strips better than anything else from what I can tell. I'm a bit stumped as to what free pattern would best compliment these strips that is easy and quick.

I'd sure appreciate any ideas or feedback that you all might have for me.

Thanks so much,

What pattern would work well with these strips of dinosaurs?
    Name:  Attachment-222162.jpe
Views: 112
Size:  81.5 KB

Blog Entries
    How about a "Triple Rail Fence"? You can choose two coordinating solids and whip it up pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty quilter
    How about a "Triple Rail Fence"? You can choose two coordinating solids and whip it up pretty fast.
    What size strips would you suggest I use? I currently have the above strips cut into 4.5" widths so I don't lose too much of any dinosaur.

Thanks,

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    Do a D9P and use these for the corners. The size you have now would work perfect. Just ad 2 solids or blenders in 2 of the colors in this fabric. Here's one someone posted on here. Your fabric would be the one that is the big squares with the dots on them. I love this pattern, it's so simple to do and looks so complicated when it's done. Good Luck..crafty_linda_b

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-83810-1.htm

Here's a link to a video if you are like me and would rather "see" it done than read directions..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEjZOXxPazg

I'm with crafty linda's idea.

Blog Entries
    How about different stripped coordinating materials?

MTS
    Banned
    He's 7. I doubt he cares about a pattern. He wants dinosaurs.

I think the fabric is very cool but the dinos on your fabric are really small, and work great as background, or filler strips just like you have them set out on the table.

I haven't been around a 7 year old boy in, like, forever, so I don't know if these are too babyish for him:
    http://www.bugfabric.com/dinosaurs.htm

You could get a bunch of FQ's with larger dinos, and cut those up for the alternating strips. More color/less white to coordinate with your strips. Make 8" (or whatever) squares with colorful dividers.

Scale is very important.

That would be a very easy solution and give him a ton of dinos.

Another option, a bit more work, would be to make the alternating rows FULL of larger dinos - applique or paper pieced, and make THEM the focus of the quilt. You could use brights that coordinate with the colors in your strips. This is the route I'd go.

You could buy an existing pattern, or use any of these for the shapes:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=dinos...ls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1280&bih=670&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=IZcVTu2BAcnpgQe_laQw&sqi=2&ved=0CBgQsAQ

I agree that these dinos look a bit small. I think I'd do the D9P idea, or find different dino fabric and use this for a pieced backing. Google 'one bizillion BC'. Cute dino panel in primary colours.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    What size strips would you suggest I use? I currently have the above strips cut into 4.5" widths so I don't lose too much of any dinosaur.

Thanks,
    if you cut the other patches 3" for 2 1/2 finished, your quilt might look like this. the blocks are 10" each and the quilt would be approx 40ish by 50ish
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan

Thanks,
    if you cut the other patches 3" for 2 1/2 finished, your quilt might look like this. the blocks are 10" each and the quilt would be approx 40ish by 50ish
    Oh bless your heart!! That's awesome! :thumbup: While I like the D9P that others have suggested, I really didn't want to cut the strips up too small as that would chop up the dinosaur names.

I love your visual, Nan. This is a winner! :thumbup: I knew I could count on our wonderful board members! :D The size is perfect, too!!

Thanks so much,

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chairjogger
    Aw, that's a really cute quilt and a great idea, too! :thumbup: Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful idea. :D

Power Poster
    I really like QuiltnNan's pattern.

Power Poster
    double post.

I think QuiltnNan's idea is fabulous and will work really well with that fabric. Make sure you post photos when you're done!

I would do a snowball block alternating with a 9 patch block using the colors in the dinasour print.

Hi Everyone,

I have a 7 yo grandson who just loves all things dinosaurs. So, I'm on task to find a pattern that will easily incorporate the below strips of dinosaurs.

This fabric seems to lend itself to being cut into rows/strips better than anything else from what I can tell. I'm a bit stumped as to what free pattern would best compliment these strips that is easy and quick.

I'd sure appreciate any ideas or feedback that you all might have for me.

Thanks so much,
    I think I'd fill in the rows with strips of primary colors since they are used in the print.

Blog Entries

Thanks,
    Oh bless your heart!! That's awesome! :thumbup: While I like the D9P that others have suggested, I really didn't want to cut the strips up too small as that would chop up the dinosaur names.

I love your visual, Nan. This is a winner! :thumbup: I knew I could count on our wonderful board members! :D The size is perfect, too!!

Thanks so much,
    so glad i could help .. i couldn't live without my eq5

Thanks,
    Hi Nan,

I went to the dentist this afternoon, and afterward cut out two 3" strips to go with my 4.5" dino strip. After sewing each 3" strip to one side of the dino strip with a 1/4" seam allowance, my finished block is only 9.5" wide. Maybe I shouldn't have done this while on novocaine? :shock: :roll: :lol:

Did I goof, or is it possible that the other two strips need to be cut 3.5" in order for my block to finish at 10"?

Thanks so much,

Blog Entries
    you know, that's my fault and i'm sorry. i was thinking 4.5 finished, but the strip is 4.5 and finishes to 4.0. then the 3" strips finish to 2.5 each. so your finished block is only 9". and your block before connecting them together is 9.5. you will still be alright on your quilt by the borders you put on it. if you make 4 blocks x 5 blocks, that makes 36x45. depending on what borders you put on, that will still make your quilt big enough for your 7yo. :oops:

you know, that's my fault and i'm sorry. i was thinking 4.5 finished, but the strip is 4.5 and finishes to 4.0. then the 3" strips finish to 2.5 each. so your finished block is only 9". and your block before connecting them together is 9.5. you will still be alright on your quilt by the borders you put on it. if you make 4 blocks x 5 blocks, that makes 36x45. depending on what borders you put on, that will still make your quilt big enough for your 7yo. :oops:
    Hi Nan,

Thanks so much for confirming that I wasn't losing it. :lol: Not a problem at all. Just a happy accident, or something like that. I'm really having trouble finding two colors that I have enough of to go with my dino's. Wish I had more yellow, but I don't. Grr. I sewed one strip together with a grass green on one side and a bright red on the other and I don't care for it at all. :thumbdown: Any ideas?

Thanks,

Blog Entries
    I would just add strips of the main colors in between wide strips of dinosaurs. You could quilt it with variated thread in primary colors, making dinosaur shapes on the solid color strips!

I just finished a dinosaur quilt for my 6 year old grandson. I used a print similar to yours to surround white squares that I put matching applique dinosaurs on. I took a picture of my strips, enlarged them and traced a copy on tissue paper to make the patterns for my appliques. Then I accented the squares with things like... off-white lace with a triange edge became the stegosaurus spikes down his back, etc. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a picture of a few of the dinosaurs. I think I have a few mid-way through making it. When my grandson saw the little dinosaurs he decided he wanted a giant T-rex in the middle with a volcano behind it so I made that too. :D
    It's so much fun being grandma! :wink:

I ended up using different lace for the teeth so they would be bigger and longer and this was taken prior to the volcano in the background.
    Name:  Attachment-222722.jpe
Views: 41
Size:  97.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxb41
    squares that I put matching applique dinosaurs on. I took a picture of my strips, enlarged them and traced a copy on tissue paper to make the patterns for my appliques. Then I accented the squares with things like... off-white lace with a triange edge became the stegosaurus spikes down his back, etc. I:
    BRILLIANT!!!!!!! Now THAT'S a dinosaur quilt!!!

And welcome to the QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxb41
    I just finished a dinosaur quilt for my 6 year old grandson.
    It's so much fun being grandma! :wink:
    What an awesome dinosaur quilt!!! :thumbup: You did a super wonderful job on that one, right down to the teeth! :thumbup: You are SO creative. Nicely done. No wonder your grandson thinks the world of you. Wow! Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast