Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need pattern and or ideas >

need pattern and or ideas

need pattern and or ideas

Old 05-20-2022, 08:58 AM

Default need pattern and or ideas

Hi Quilters, this morning I went to therapy and my PT asked me to make a quilt for a football game. The teams are local, private and public small town. One team colors are blue and gold, the other is purple and white. However, he said it was going to be western theme this year. WHAT? I had to admit I am not into games and really don't understand what western has to do with football. When he said western, I told him I thought I downloaded a boot quilt block (can't seem to find it since I got home) He said cowboy boot would be good. I don't know exactly what he has pictured in his mind, to use schools colors(?) how will they look together, or denim and bandanna fabric. Do you have any thoughts I could run by him? Do you know where I could possibly find a free block? I have a 12 1/2 inch football block. I even thought of doing a row quilt, with one school colors of boots in half the quilt and other school colors in bottom half, with a row of footballs in between. Then I don't know if I use a white background how the purple and white boot would show....Just running ideas as I type. I guess you can tell I'm thinking. Let me know what you think and please any links to anything western blocks. He didn't say he would pay me for my time. He knows I make for charities, but he did want to give me money for the fabric. I couldn't tell him how much fabric would be until we decide the fabric and the pattern but I did tell him fabric is higher than you think. Have a nice day and thanks in advance- Toogie
Old 05-20-2022, 10:54 AM

Hi Toogie, Just some thoughts on what to ask the PT. 1) Is he the person who is in charge of soliciting this quilt, or is someone else more directly involved? That person may be able to give you the best answers. 2) What will the quilt be used for? A raffle? Donation for a charity event? If a charity event, is this something you personally believe in and want to put your effort into? 3) Please don't be shy about asking him if you will be paid for your time. Folks don't realize the tremendous time and effort that goes into a quilt. A baby quilt alone can take 20 or 30 hours. You may want to give him a realistic estimate of the time this may take you. Perhaps that will help him understand just what it is he's asking of you. Folks used to want to "commission" me to knit for them, having no notion of the time commitment involved. When I was custom spinning and knitting shawls, I wound up making perhaps 50 cents an hour. I used to babysit for that much back in the 60's.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:57 AM

What about the Simply Woven Pattern It has an old style picnic blanket style to it, so country feeling/western plaid feeling. You could incorporate the colors into the stripes. White background, purple stripes, gold (deep yellow) stripes, and blue stripes.

You could put a stripe/row of the footballs on the back, with maybe a total of 5 rows of fabric a purple row a white row, a blue row and a gold row, and the football row or, perhaps two narrow strips (2.5' before sewing) of the purple and white, then the football row, then another 2 narrow strips of blue and gold, with a green on the back for the football field for the remainder.

Things to check out if you haven't - what size, if he is going to pay for the quilt, and I wouldn't buy the fabric until you agree on price for it, and any additional needs - threads, time, backing, etc.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 05-20-2022 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:16 PM

Earlier today I saw this as I was browsing. https://pinetreecountryquilts.com/sh...quilt-pattern/ Could you use these footballs somehow? I have no idea how to tie them to a western theme unless you could use bandana prints in school colors. I just remembered that Marshalls has bandana prints in colors: https://marshalldrygoods.com/shop/ho...andana%20print
Here is another western style design that you might be able to combine with strips of football or western prints:https://www.etsy.com/listing/5570199...tent=S-1091896
This one might work for using school colors and bandana prints: https://www.rileyblakedesigns.com/as...reePattern.pdf
Here are a hat, boot and bandana western design that would be easy to figure out without buying the pattern: https://www.freequiltpatterns.info/s...ern-sku-12.htm
Here is a second boot and hat pattern: https://www.pinterest.fr/pin/239042692704468156/
All that I have here is a drawing, but it would be easy to do in school colors:
s:
Maybe instead of a lot of really dominant cowboy images, here are some free cowboy stencils that possibly you could use for the quilting: https://www.all-about-stencils.com/cowboy-stencils.html
Maybe this will give you a place to start. Good luck. I am sure that whatever you decide to do, it will be perfect as are all of your quilts.

Last edited by SueZQ from MN; 05-20-2022 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:26 PM

?when does he want it by? Seems like pretty short notice for this spring as school ends pretty quickly? As there are two teams, does he want one or two quilts? Both school colors on one quilt? What is going to happen to the quilt, raffle? display? Use as a trophy for the year? so many questions. I know it would take me quite a while to plan, buy the material, make it, and have it quilted or quilt it myself. He may not have an idea of the time involved.
Old 05-20-2022, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
?when does he want it by? Seems like pretty short notice for this spring as school ends pretty quickly? As there are two teams, does he want one or two quilts? Both school colors on one quilt? What is going to happen to the quilt, raffle? display? Use as a trophy for the year? so many questions. I know it would take me quite a while to plan, buy the material, make it, and have it quilted or quilt it myself. He may not have an idea of the time involved.
I just didn't include all the information but I too still have questions, he just caught me by surprise today. I will have my questions along with ideas for next week. As for the finished quilt time frame, it needs to be done by September/Oct which is plenty time for me. I like it when it's all left up to me, but I don't want him to be disappointed, if he has something particular in mind.
Old 05-21-2022, 05:26 AM

How about a t-shirt quilt from team shirts?
Old 05-21-2022, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

Perhaps the schools have fabrics that represent the teams. You could check to find any promotional materials that are being used for the football game to inspire you. Also, the schools usually have mascots.
I don't think I would know what to make either. When is the quilt due? That would determine how much work and time available to you to make it. Some people mistakenly think that a quilt is something we just sew up in an evening.
When I read this post I thought of a quilt called morning noon and night. It has shaded rows of color that could be the one school's colors on one side and the other school's on the other side. Then mesh it all together in the middle. Then applique team helmets, boots or mascots on either side?
Attached Thumbnails 0475.00119.jpg  

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 05-21-2022 at 05:56 AM.