Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Pattern Ideas >

Need Pattern Ideas

Need Pattern Ideas

Old 03-09-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by shaverg
What about D9P? With a border of half square triangles?
I think a disappearing 9-patch would be cute, too. It would give it a fun, scrappy look!
Old 03-09-2010, 07:09 AM

I have made several "just square" quilts BUT....I use different textures of fabric and different amounts of quilting in the boxes so the baby can feel the textures. I also use black and white binding as that is the first thing the baby can see. I also make it a bit smaller than the usual size so that the baby can carry it when they get to be a bit older. My granddaughter loves to fold her own blankie and carry it under her arm! Any baby quilt made with love is a winner! (I also quilt a card that matches the baby quilt for writing welcome wishes to the child. Get the photo cards you slip a photo into but place a matching quilted piece in it instead of a photo. It makes it even more special.)
Old 03-09-2010, 07:15 AM

I would make it a picture quilt of people and places that will soon be a part of the babies life. Using the fabric you purchased to outline the photographes and applique shapes to add charm.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:27 AM

I'm not sure what the pattern is called, but I once made a baby quilt by stacking one block of each fabric on top of the other then cutting in half and putting one of the top pieces on the bottom, sewing the blocks back together, then cutting them in half again in a different direction, and putting one of the top pieces on the bottom again, repeating, I think I made four cuts total but you could do more or less if you want. It ended up being absolutely beautiful. Very bright and colorful for the baby. Please let us see what you decide to do.
T
Old 03-09-2010, 07:30 AM

Hanky Panky might be an option
Old 03-09-2010, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by shaverg
What about D9P? With a border of half square triangles?
I agree, the disappearing 9 patch would be perfect for those colours. I have made a few and they all look different, and it is so fast and easy to complete!
Old 03-09-2010, 07:34 AM

What's Hanky Panky?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:37 AM

I have made flannel rag quilts for baby shower gifts. The quilt will be approximately 40x36 inches. I recommend washing the flannel before you begin but it's not necessary. You will need one yard of two fabrics and one and one-half yard of a third fabric; cut this piece into a one yard piece; the other half of yard will be used for the binding. Place the backing fabric right side down (use a cute pattern for the backing fabric). Next, layer the middle fabric and top fabric right side up (although the middle fabric can be up or down). Smoothe and straighten the fabric as best you can and pin. Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner. You will be sewing on that line (using a short stitch length) and 1/2 inch out on each side until you reach the end. I usually sew a few rows on one side, then switch sides and straigten out the fabric as best I can. After the 3 layers of fabric have been sewn together with many diagnonal lines, square up the quilt as best you can. Next, cut the top two layers of the fabric between the stitched rows (if you are using a cute fabric on the back or top - take this into consideration when cutting so that you do not cut that fabric.) There is a chenile rotary cutter which can be used for this (and that is why a short stitch lenghth is important) or you can use sewing shears. After all of the cutting has been done, sew on the binding using your favorite method. You can sew a basting stitch around the edges before binding it. The last step is to wash the quilt which will help to "rag" it. There will be a lot of lint when you wash it.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:40 PM

triangles into pinwheels would be cute...or how about doing something with strips in some squares, and pinwheels? Just a thought..
Old 03-09-2010, 05:01 PM

I just did a baby quilt in disappearing nine patch. Used bright colors, green and orange fabric, focus fabric was a blue background with blocks that had green and orange. I was very happy with the results. Will be using orange minky on the back and binding with a stripe cut on the bias. This might work with your fabrics, would be bright and scrappy.