Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need pros and cons please >

Need pros and cons please

Need pros and cons please

Old 05-15-2011, 03:09 PM

I have been doing all my sewing/cutting/quilting on the kitchen table which means cleaning it off each time we eat. We are moving to a new home where I will actually get a real sewing room and my husband will be able to make a lot of the tables and cabinets for my dream room in his new 40' x 35' workshop!
Have been browsing through a lot of your sewing rooms for ideas and I have noticed some people have their sewing tables up against a wall and others have theirs out away from the wall. I do a lot of free motion quilting and was wondering which way is best ...next to the wall or away from the wall?
Also, since my DH can custom make the sewing table, I plan to have it made so the sewing surface of the machine is flush with the level of the table. Is there any advantage to making this table deeper than a regular sewing table?
Thanks!
Linda
Old 05-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Google Goddess

Wow, congratulations, I can't wait to see your new sewing room and cabinets

Be sure to make yourself a design wall!
Old 05-15-2011, 03:16 PM

If your question about the depth is referring to the front to back, you can make your cabinet/table where it has a hinged back piece that can be raised when you are doing your quilting to give you more surface area. Then you can lower it if you want. I leave mine up all the time though even though it is hinged. I think some have their cabinets up against the wall to keep the quilt from sliding off into the floor. Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful opportunity. Congratulations. (Also think pegboards for hanging items! One of the best ideas I incorporated into my room.)
Old 05-15-2011, 03:17 PM

My sewing table is against the window because I need the light, but it is pulled back enough that I can place the bulk of the quilt in front of me.

The larger surface you have to sew, the better. If he makes it large enough, you can use the other end for your cutting table. If I had my druthers, I would have about an 8 foot square table, with my machine recessed on one end. Then I would finally have enough sewing room!
Old 05-15-2011, 03:18 PM

Hi....my husband has just done my new room for me... much smaller just 10 x 10 but all my space...We put a lot of thought to cupbaords, storage and the work surface. In the end we just laid the work surface on the cupboards and have it against the wall but should I need more space I can just take off the work surface and pull out the cupboards and then replace it and have a central island....that way I get the best of both worlds...we are debating wether to put the cupboards on lockable casters to make it even easier.
We took a trip round ikea for just to look at possible storage and ended up spending a small fortune !!
Good luck
Old 05-15-2011, 03:22 PM

If I had room I would like atable that I could get to on three sides.I can't see my self with such a sewing,quilting room, you are one lucky lady
make sure you have plenty of good light,looking forward to seeing your grand room.

d. swindle
Old 05-15-2011, 03:23 PM

Have your DH make hinged wings for your sewing table so you can open the back and side when you want to FMQ but have extra floor space otherwise. Also, I would set my machine flush with the table top unless you have a side-load bobbin in which case I'd still set it flush but have a little access door built in. Then, if you want to do any free-arm sewing, you'll have to buy another machine :wink:
The best thing to have in my opinion, is a cutting table high enough that you don't get back strain from using it, and big enough for 3 big cutting mats. Mine hinges open and closed, another space saver. Oh yes, and don't forget the extra-big ironing board top.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:28 PM

If I had my druthers, I would have about an 8 foot square table, with my machine recessed on one end. Then I would finally have enough sewing room![/quote]
---------------------------------
We go to two of our lovely Mennonite church meeting halls for blood drives, and I always run over to see what they are hand quilting on at each visit.
Being a very practical type people, they have a huge table for several sewers, holes for more than one machine cut in the top and when machines are down, the top is totally flat.
And one of them has a large closet type for storage, with one wall of it made with drawers, above it is cupboards. I've never gone though it of course, but saw it when one of them went in for different colored threads for their quilts. Wish I had one like it.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:30 PM

:hunf: Is it ok to be green with envy!? Lucky Ducky YOU!!!! Have fun designing your space.

One group of quilters seem to like the idea of having your sewing table and another table to the left wedged against a left hand corner. This is because when you machine quilt, the quilt layers have beeing held up wel.l And as you continue to quilt, the quilt doesn't have anywhere to go do the backof the sewing table. I can easily see the value of this idea.

BUT for me I need to be able to move my table/s around some. Winter and Summer light is different coming through my 2 windows in the quilt room. In summer, it is too wamr, even with a/c, to have the sewing table against the window wall.

But that said, I have a MOVABLE sewing table. And I do move it when the psirit hits to do just that. Sewing with the table permamently against the wall seems like somehow you are blocking your ease of movement with a large item, like a quilt.

Julie
Old 05-15-2011, 03:40 PM

I think you should have a table on wheels so you have the freedom to easily move it around. My next one will be on wheels. My mom has one and pulls it out when she is using it and pushes it back when she is done. I like it alot.