Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need quilt pattern to make a tie quilt.

Blog Entries

Need quilt pattern to make a tie quilt.

Need a pattern to make a quilt from men's ties. Awhile back I saw one posted on a site and saved it, but soon after a virus wiped out everything. Can anyone help me? Thanks

[url]http://www.ludlowquiltsandsew.co.uk

Last month's Quilter's World magazine has a great tie quilt in it - the flip and sew style. If this link works you can see the tie quilt on the cover of the Dec. 2011 edition. If I remember right you use flannel for the back and flannel foundation pieces for the blocks - no batting.

http://www.quiltersworld.com/shopping.php?mode=archive
    So many quilts, so little time.

Blog Entries
    Here are few pics of tie quilts I have made. My favorite one I can't get the picture to load!
    A friends hubby was a banker for many years and she wanted a quilt with his ties and shirts. That is the last two pics. I made a small wall hanging using the shirt front, collar and tie.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by QuiltingKrazy; 01-19-2012 at 12:11 AM.
    Lisa B in NC
    Quilting is my Happy Thought!
    http://www.quiltingkrazy.blogspot.com

a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
    these are great, quick question - on the first two, how did you prep the ties before piecing? I have a huge bag of ties to use, I have washed them but not taken apart yet. not looking forward to that part but ... I also have a gazillion yards of silk, my so worked for tie company, when they sent all jobs to China and closed down I got rolls and rolls of fabrics ... the only way I've been able to use any of it was pp'ing, it's just too slippery otherwise. Any tips on using the stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingKrazy View Post
    Here are few pics of tie quilts I have made. My favorite one I can't get the picture to load!
    A friends hubby was a banker for many years and she wanted a quilt with his ties and shirts. That is the last two pics. I made a small wall hanging using the shirt front, collar and tie.
    Last edited by MdmSew'n'Sew; 01-19-2012 at 03:38 AM.
    He who cuts his own wood is warmed twice, but she who makes her own quilt is warmed forever - SLR 11/7/2011

Good for you! Tie silk is very heavy, right? The quilts you make from them must be AWESOME! I saw a Storm at Sea made with ties for the diamonds on this board. If you paper pieced it, you could probably make the entire quilt out of the tie silk. It would be gorgeous!
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

I have a bunch of ties I have picked up at yard sales and good will I will be watching this one.

Just saw on facebook this am (a friend of a friend) a Mariner's Compass made out of ties. It was stunning.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=luce321;4888236]Need a pattern to make a quilt from men's ties. Awhile back I saw one posted on a site and saved it, but soon after a virus wiped out everything. Can anyone help me? Thanks[/QUOTE

Thanks to Shrucker, JanTx, QuiltingKrazy, and Sew Many for all the great info you gave me. Hope I never left anyone out, if I did, sorry, and thanks to you too. Lucy

I did the flip and sew on a foundation as all ties are not heavy silk.

Blog Entries
    I've seen this one made in ties, and have all my blocks made to make it. Maybe you'll like it too.
    http://www.pbtex.com/GRDOpattern.pdf

Speaking of ties, I am still looking for a pattern to make purses out of ties. Have looked everywhere. Can anyone help?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sue z q View Post
    I've seen this one made in ties, and have all my blocks made to make it. Maybe you'll like it too.
    http://www.pbtex.com/GRDOpattern.pdf
    Suz q, Thanks for the website, but I don't know how I would apply ties to this pattern. The site said "grandpa dots", could you explain? Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie01 View Post
    Speaking of ties, I am still looking for a pattern to make purses out of ties. Have looked everywhere. Can anyone help?
    Maggie,

your idea for the purse is good one. I don't recall ever seeing one, but If you find a pattern, will you let me know where to purchase it. Thanks, Lucy

A dresent plate would lend it's self to ties.

As to making a purse out of ties, I'd find my favorite purse pattern and the make fabric out of the ties. Then cut the fabric with the pattern pieces.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

I found that after washing the ties (fabric) and ironing it, then it helps to use a light fusible interfacing to keep it from slipping and raveling. I made a pillow for DMIL and used the ties to frame the picture of her and DFIL (they were his ties and he had just passed away). I also made a crazy quilt out of the ties. I have seen bow tie quilts done from ties. Remember when you start working with the ties that the point is the bias -- give a tug to make sure that you you know what is bias and what is straight of grain.

I read some where that there is about 1/8 yard of fabric in a tie -- I would say scant 1/8. If you are careful, you can cut the knots and pull out the basting that finishes the ties.
    Last edited by QuiltnLady1; 01-20-2012 at 05:24 PM.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I have made several tie quilts. The worst part is taking them apart. I made mine in the string quilt or quilt as you go fashion. I used the tips for a saw-tooth edge. Here is a pic. Good luck, the silk is so soft to work with
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Linda
    Let every day be the best day of your life!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luce321 View Post
    Suz q, Thanks for the website, but I don't know how I would apply ties to this pattern. The site said "grandpa dots", could you explain? Thanks
    Using this pattern, the ties are cut apart and used like any fabric. You would need to iron on a stabilizer after you take the ties apart and before cutting into individual pieces. You would also use your choice of a background fabric. I will look for a link to show this pattern made from ties. https://picasaweb.google.com/1171782...32638319319762
    Last edited by sue z q; 01-21-2012 at 07:08 AM. Reason: add link

Awesome job on all the quilt ties quitling crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingKrazy View Post
    Anna Quilts

Lovequilter your quilt ties is amazing too. I really like the "prairy" points and have never seen that done with ties.

Quote Originally Posted by lovequilter View Post
    I have made several tie quilts. The worst part is taking them apart. I made mine in the string quilt or quilt as you go fashion. I used the tips for a saw-tooth edge. Here is a pic. Good luck, the silk is so soft to work with
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    Lovequilter your quilt ties is amazing too. I really like the "prairy" points and have never seen that done with ties.
    Lovequilter, thanks for sharing that beautiful quilt. The prairie points are very unique.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sue z q View Post
    Using this pattern, the ties are cut apart and used like any fabric. You would need to iron on a stabilizer after you take the ties apart and before cutting into individual pieces. You would also use your choice of a background fabric. I will look for a link to show this pattern made from ties. https://picasaweb.google.com/1171782...32638319319762
    Suzy q, thanks for the link to that beautiful quilt. I hope to try one soon.