Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need reco for Janome machine needles >

Need reco for Janome machine needles

Need reco for Janome machine needles

Old 08-13-2015, 04:22 AM

I have an older Janome Harmony that was made for Sears. It may be 15 years old now and have NEVER had a problem with needles unless I accidently sew over a pin. I've used needles by Singer, Organ, Superior Titanium, and Schmitz. Perhaps your problem is the needle is hitting of center and hitting part of the machine itself. Take it to be serviced.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:45 AM

I have a Janome and have never broken a needle. I use Schmitz primarily. I agree that it might be something else with your machine. Also sewing too fast over thick seams, pins and the like will not only break needles but also damage your machine. If a needle is too dull as well it might break in fast sewing. I'm not saying you have to slowly chug along to save needles but I've seen some people who run their machines so fast the table shakes and they seem like they are in a race to go somewhere.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:49 AM

I use Schmetz on all my Janome machines. I never have a problem.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
My Janome 1600 insists on Organ needles.
DITTO Only Organ needles.

Also, Don't pull your fabric through......just guide it. That can really break a lot of needles regardless of brand.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

I have a Janome 4000, definitely an older model, which is still being well used for sewing and quilting. I use Schmetz needles, Klasse needles and the universal needles you can get at JoAnn's, or even Wal-Mart. I have not had a problem, except that I need to remember to replace my needles more frequently, as I forget, especially if I'm not having a problem.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:31 PM

Another Organ Needle vote here. All my machines, modern and vintage, love them. I buy by the 100 and get great pricing. Never have one break and so inexpensive I don't mind changing them often.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:34 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
Janome needles are ORGAN. If you breaking needles often, it is not the needle that is the problem.
i agree with this advice.
i've used janome machines for many years.
when a needle breaks, it has always been because of something i did incorrectly.

a janome will sew well enough with just about any brand of needle.
but ... as others have already pointed out ... organ brand and janome brand are the same.
organ costs less; works just as well; and will line up more consistently with the needle threading mechanism.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:50 AM

Organ here, too. That's what the machine came with, and I buy them by the 100 also. I use Organ in all my machines that take 15x1 needles (mostly vintage Singers & Kenmores) and never a problem.

I love having a "needle stash" - makes me 100% more likely to change my needle if I know I have a few dozen (or more) of them on hand!
Old 08-16-2015, 09:12 AM

Okay, I'm pretty sold on Organ needles, based on the consensus here. I don't sew over pins, but I think the needles have broken when I go too fast during FMQ, which I need much more practice doing. Sometimes the needle just FALLS out, which must be due to excessive vibration. I'll slow the Bessie down!
Old 08-16-2015, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

Only use Organ needles in all my machines. I use Titanium coated topstitch needles. I buy them from Superior Threads and stock up when there is a sale. I have a Janome Jem Gold, Bernina, Brother, and Singer.