Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a sewing table >

Need a sewing table

Need a sewing table

Old 10-12-2011, 02:16 PM

Back in hippy times it was suggested using a second-hand interior door (hollow core) and two file cabinets for a desk. Seems a similar set up could work for you. Habitat for Humanity's "ReStore" is a good place to look. Even re-purpose used kitchen base cabinets. They also have countertops sometimes. I bet you could screw a board below the cut-out and set your machine there.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:29 PM

Too bad you are so far away. I have two desks that need a home. I sew on a used dining room table I got at Goodwill for $35. You could do thwe same, and have more money for fabric and toys. IMHO
Old 10-12-2011, 02:42 PM

check out IKEA http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...kspaces/10712/
Old 10-12-2011, 03:07 PM

Isew on a used 1950s student desk my bff's brother had growing up. Perfect for me! And it was free. :)
Old 10-12-2011, 03:50 PM

Actually since you live in Ohio, just look up Sauder on the internet. You not only get a short vacation but it is one lovely village to visit and has one terrific quilt shop. I drive between Cleveland and Shipshawanna when I get up that way and always stop in the village. They also have one of the nicest motels I have ever stayed in and not that expensive. If you like what they have in their shop you can bring it home and put it together. We did that for my daughter's home office and got lovely furniture that is well built for a very reasonable price.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
check out auctions or estate sales - I found a huge and modern desk with a right-L on it for $5 at an auction. I took the right-L off of it because it wouldn't fit in my room, but the desk is perfect...gotta look at the multi use purposes of ordinary things.
Yes, Yes, Yes! This is the way to go. I just bought two filing cabinets with top for $2.50 at an auction. Works just great for my sewing machine.

LoriAnn
Old 10-12-2011, 05:23 PM

Don't rule out a computer desk. I bought a large used one; sawed the legs off two inches and removed the keyboard shelf. It has two drawers and storage plus shelves above. My sewing machine sits where a monitor would have been. I can tape my pattern guide to the brace behind it. I have a Sew Steady table on top and my supplies are in view under it. Best arrangement I've ever had. Another machine sits on a student desk I bought for $3 at a yard sale. I covered the top with contac paper and it was the right height and has a small drawer on the left. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2011, 05:25 PM

Just use any sturdy table that's the size you want. I have a dining room table- cutting mat and a couple of necessities on top, bins for fabric and projects underneath.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:51 PM

I found a sturdy computer desk at a yard sale for $5. and redid it with paint and things I already had.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-270279.jpe  
Old 10-12-2011, 06:10 PM

The height of the table is the most important thing. I have a table similar to the SewEz. It is portable and the machine is recessed with an insert to make the sewing area flat...no drag.