Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need some advice on a machine >

need some advice on a machine

need some advice on a machine

Old 07-26-2019, 10:50 AM

Default need some advice on a machine

So I've outgrown my current Baby Lock Sophia2 and I'm looking to upgrade to something bigger (budget allowing).

My LQS has a trade-in Baby Lock Aria that they quoted me $2300 for. Its more than I was planning to spend but it seems like a very nice machine. How much are these going for new? Is this a great deal or just an ok one?

TIA
Old 07-26-2019, 11:29 AM

It's a good price. The Arias are nice
Old 07-26-2019, 05:54 PM

Bernina fan here. But one of the important things to consider is the quality of the service department. I would not buy a machine anywhere without getting input on the quality of their service. They all breakdown and/or should have yearly servicing if they are used a lot. I was a devoted Viking user for most of my sewing life. But the last new machine I bought had problems immediately. To my dismay I learned the service had gone so far downhill since my last purchase and realized they were not going to help me. Our local Bernina store has the best service department ever.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

My experience only: I just bought a new Bernina, having had one for many years and it's been a lot easier for me to get used to the same brand. The "bones" are pretty much the same but it has a lot of upgraded features I wanted.
I agree with the above poster too. Service is imperative. My Bernina dealer has been around for decades and they are wonderful to work with.
Good luck with your search!
Old 07-27-2019, 11:56 AM

The machine is a nice one.

Have you seen the decorative stitches? It also has the large WF. I have the sister Crescendo machine with the sensor pen and laser light. That is the only difference between them I believe.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

I don't have an opinion. Just want to welcome you to this board. You will love it here.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:19 PM

Is a good straight stitch mechanical machine an option? You could keep the Baby Lock Sophia2 for the fancy stuff.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:10 AM

I have an Aria, and absolutely love it, the even feed foot is fantastic for applying bindings. I just got the flatbed table for it, but haven't used it yet. The price you were quoted was a good price. I,too was a diehard HV owner, but with the new owners, the service is nil, and the machine quality has dropped. Then a friend turned me on to Babylocks. the store owner is great, and his service is top notch and reasonable. Can't beat that. you want a good dealer and reliable service, and make sure the trade-in has been serviced and has some sort of warranty in case there are issues with it.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone. My LQS has good service and classes so I went ahead and got it!