Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice.

I say gently that it doesn't make sense to complain to the wrong people. One needs to calmly explain the problem/dissatisfaction to the person who did the work and see what sort of outcome can be achieved. Otherwise, you are going to be unhappy for a longer time than you should be. People can't improve their game if it is not pointed out. I encourage you to have enough courage to go to the lady and speak plainly. All the best with the exercise.

Blog Entries
    i would definitly go back & talk to her- and show her the oopsies---
    then i would start (shopping around) for a different quilter-
    look at other's work & do some comparison price checking-
    i paid over $300 to have a quilt quilted once- but it was HUGE! as in 120" x 135"....and he did an amazing, amazing job- he is a quilter who has won prizes at International Quilt Show in Houston---so i was prepared to pay the price- but i've never seen anyone else charge so much on a (local) basis- your avatar does not give us any hints as to where you are- and location does matter- but i'm sure you can find someone you would be happy with who would charge 1/2 that- or less-
    but do contact the quilter & show her what you are unhappy with & talk to her- she needs to know you are unhappy-just try to not be----'confrontational-emotional' about it
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

mommabear, you were definitely taken advantage of. I longarm for others & I wouldn't charge that much for what you say was done to this quilt. When you took it back, what she is doing to fix it may be acceptable to her, but not to others. I agree, shop around, ask others who to take your tops to in the future. This LAer is not doing right.

Blog Entries
    OUCH $300 is difenently high. That being said talk to her and ask that the blurps be taken out and redone. It can be done, I've done it myself. Riped out all of my first quilt on my long arm, thank heaven it was my own quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
    I say gently that it doesn't make sense to complain to the wrong people. One needs to calmly explain the problem/dissatisfaction to the person who did the work and see what sort of outcome can be achieved. Otherwise, you are going to be unhappy for a longer time than you should be. People can't improve their game if it is not pointed out. I encourage you to have enough courage to go to the lady and speak plainly. All the best with the exercise.
    My sentiments exactly! Well written jtkaau
    Linda

Should take her the quilt, tell her how much you love to shop there, but express your concerns/disappointment over the end result and tell her what you would like done to fix it. Then once all issues are resolved, just dont let her quilt anything else and chalk up the inflated price she charged to a learning experience. That way you can still get your fabrics there if you feel her prices on the fabric are fair.
    pat design

I am concerned about her not giving you an estimate because she wanted to do custom quilting in each block. That alone sounds fishy to me. I have my own longarm and though I am far from being good - I do my own qults. One tme I sent a quilt (queen size) to be quilted and the longarm quilter went through the whole quilt with me - first showed me some of his previous quilts and how they were quilted -then we used some of those ideas to incorporate into my quilt. After that he told me how much it would be according to what I asked for - it was around $ 150.00 for a custom quilt - also we signed a contract spelling out what would be done and how much - there were no surprises - I feel bad that you were taken advantage of - it really doesn't speak well about that person not being up front about the fees and then not wanting to fix the "burps" - that being said - I hope that your quilt is beautiful and you will enjoy it - I thnk this is a lesson that we all need to learn about getting things in writing and being clear about what is expected. Hope all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by mommabear62 View Post
    Thanks so much for your advice ladies.

I have already contacted her per the majority of suggestions. She said there is nothing she can do about the two folds in the back and she is going to try and run another line of meandering on the one side that is lacking. She said that she feels she can make this look OK without others noticing unless I bring it to their attention which I certainly would not be doing. She is going to do stitching in the sashing after I told her I really would prefer this. She is not going to charge me for this. Some of you ladies were asking what size my quilt is, it is a queen. When I first left my quilt with her I did ask what she would charge but she could not give me a price as she said she wanted to do something special in each block. The ladies in the guild said this was not specialized quilting. Like I said, I am new at this and have no idea. They really feel that I was taken advantage of. Well, live and learn.

I really appreciate all the advice you gave.
    Mommabear, thanks so much for letting us know the outcome but a few comments I would like to add, just so you are more well informed...

1. Regarding the folds/pleats in the back and what the LA told you (nothing can be done).... I call BS!! It can be fixed. It is a royal pain in the butt as it involves ripping out all the quilting that has been done and re-doing. No LA-er wants to do this, it is a lot of work, so we go to great pains to avoid it from happening in the first place. She should have offered monatary compensation in the form of a partial refund or discounted future quilting. So strike one against this LAQ

2. Trying to run another meander down the side to "make it look" ok?!?! Strike Two!!

3. She could not give you a price up front?!?! STRIKE THREE!! Do not use this LAQ again! There are waaaaaay too many really good, honest reputable LAQ out there that you can send your quilts to that WILL give you an up front price for custom quilting (different design in every block) and stick to it even if they put more work into it than quoted (I have done this myself!). There are also LAQ that you can say I want quilting in the .02 per s/i price range, show me samples of what you can do in that price range and they can and will so you won't have a surprise bill to pay.

The comments of the ladies in your guild is subjective. In THEIR opinion it was not specialized. Actually any quilting that is not an all over panto-graph or end to end repetitive design (like an all over meander, cross hatch, baptist fan or any other number of design repeated over the entire quilt with no regard to the piecing) is considered custom quilting. The quilting was customized to that specific quilt. Even if it was just SID that outlines your piecing or different stencils designs in each block, it would be considered custom. There are varying degrees of custom. I have no idea what their idea of "specialized" is unless they are thinking of Trapunto or some other labor intensive technique.
    Last edited by feline fanatic; 05-10-2012 at 06:35 AM.

TAKE IT BACK! Ask her to quilt in the sashings (No problem adding here) and try to fix the fold issue. I have seen my LQ take out stitches and fold areas of quilts...it can be done.
    Diana in TX

$300 is a lot of money esp. for quilting that doesn't meet your expectations. I would definitely talk to the LA quilter.

As I'm retired and make quite a few quilts, I cannot afford to pay a LA quilter to do each quilt. So I do my own quilting on my Bernina -- works well but is a challenge on large quilts. I have two king size quilts ready for quilting that will be nearly impossible to do on the Bernina. So in June I'm taking LA certification classes at two of the LQS. Then I can rent time on their LA machines to do the larger quilts. I'm hoping that will work out well.
    CMC

Take the quilt back to her and show her. $300 is a lot of money to pay for something that you are not happy with.

Anita in Northfield, MN

If you don't think you could recommend her to another quilter with a clear conscience then I agree with the rest...go and speak to her about your concerns. If she's any kind of good business woman she'll make it right. After all, she is really after your return business.

I do LA quilting as a business and would want to know if my customer is not happy. For starters...there should be no burps on the back, that is not getting the back loaded on the quilt frame correctly. The quilting should be evenly spaced over the rest so that it lays nicely. You really do need to talk to her, have her fix it or if you're willing to live with it as is, she needs to give you a large discount. The amount you spent was a little on the high side for the amount of quilting and mistakes. JMHO

I would hope that it was just an over sight on the LA's part, I would hate to think that you were taken advantage of because you didn't know what to expect...take it back
    Kitty

Blog Entries
    You paid high end for your quilt to be done. So sorry you didn't get what you paid for. I definitely would mention it to the lady in private and in a calm manner explaining how disappointed you were. Doesn't sound like a professional job.

Senior Member Candy Apple Quilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post

3. She could not give you a price up front?!?! STRIKE THREE!! Do not use this LAQ again! There are waaaaaay too many really good, honest reputable LAQ out there that you can send your quilts to that WILL give you an up front price for custom quilting (different design in every block) and stick to it even if they put more work into it than quoted (I have done this myself!). There are also LAQ that you can say I want quilting in the .02 per s/i price range, show me samples of what you can do in that price range and they can and will so you won't have a surprise bill to pay.

The comments of the ladies in your guild is subjective. In THEIR opinion it was not specialized. Actually any quilting that is not an all over panto-graph or end to end repetitive design (like an all over meander, cross hatch, baptist fan or any other number of design repeated over the entire quilt with no regard to the piecing) is considered custom quilting. The quilting was customized to that specific quilt. Even if it was just SID that outlines your piecing or different stencils designs in each block, it would be considered custom. There are varying degrees of custom. I have no idea what their idea of "specialized" is unless they are thinking of Trapunto or some other labor intensive technique.
    I agree with Feline! You should have a very good idea of what your final cost will be when you first bring your quilt in to the shop. With my customers, the first part of the process is to measure the quilt. Then based on the size, we can see what the budget is, and know whether we will be doing custom or edge to edge on the quilt. For a custom treatment, I let my customers choose from thousands of designs on my computer, and plan every section (including those sashes!). She also decides whether she would like stitch in the ditch around every section, because that changes the price. No one ever leaves without knowing exactly what the price will be, what color thread(s) will be used, and when it will be finished.
    Robin Hrabik
    http://www.CandyAppleQuilts.com

Here in Texas, the current going price is 1.5cents per sq inch. but under 2cents per sq.in. I do my own quilting because you never be sure of what someone else will do. You can get too much quilting on it and or too little quilting on it. The price depends on the size of the quilt. But I do think $300.00 is a little much. I could save the money and buy my own LA machine. In fact I did and my hubby bought me a used one that is great, so I do my own quilts and save the money. But Yes I would go visit her and let her know, perhaps she did not even look it over. or don't go back.

Definitely talk to her...............I have a good friend who is a LAQ and does wonderful work. But I have also learned that the quilt owner needs to learn how to speak to the quilter....as in the design, how far apart you want the quilting to be, designs where? colors of thread....where to quilt over and where not (like in blocks you may have special applique). I had a lot to learn as a customer. Fortunately our relationship was one where we could be open! Before you use another long arm quilter...educate yourself and maybe that won't happen again.

I have no experience with LA quilting, but $300 sounds high to me. I've handquilted quilts for others for not much more than that and none of my quilting was just meandering and it was from edge to edge. This makes me sad. I feel you were taken advantage off. Sounds like someone was not in the mood for quilting or was in a very big hurry. Your work of art needs a team member that finishes it well. Quilting is not an afterthought. It's the finishing touch that brings a quilt to life!
    Thimble and Thread

Blog Entries
    that is exactly why I learned to do my own quilting I took several classes but was well worth it ---I decided I would rather have my mistakes than pay someone else for them and besides I make to many quilts be sending the out

My daughter is a longarmer and you should bring it back to the shop that did it .You can not fix what you do not know about. the customer should always be happy .Often the tucks can be fixed.
    I'm an obsessive compulsive quilter and batik aholic. I make only king size quilts.

I was lucky to find a lovely lady locally who does long arm work. I personally like minimum quilting done on my tops and she did a great job. I do have to save a while to affor d even the 1 cent a sq inch, but it is worth it for the ones I do not tie. Her name is Heather Rogers and is in the Sedro-Wooley area of Washington. There are good and bad workers in any field. I got lucky....She was nice enough to talk about the kind of work available and has a quick turn around. I hope you find someone who will do a better job for you. $300 is really a lot.........

The time and love that goes into making a quilt is priceless. A fellow quilter should, of all people, understand that. I would most definitely talk to her about it. You don't have to be confrontational, but be firm in expressing your disappointment and make sure she understands how you feel about the quilt. $300 is a lot of money and it should have been an absolutely perfect job. If she messed up, hey we all do, then she should have told you.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

I don't understand why others are telling you not to talk to her!! After paying $300 for quilting and it not being right, I would definitely take it back and show her and tell her you are not satisfied. Anytime I cough up that much money you can be darned sure it better be good....LOL
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

I think I would bring the quilt and go talk with her, and show her the mistakes.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast