Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some advice.

Blog Entries

Unhappy Need some advice.

I am a new quilter and inexperienced when it comes to quilting designs. I took my second quilt that I made to a lady who does long arm quilting. I made "The Underground Railroad" quilt and was so happy with my piecing! The colors are beautiful and I am just so tickled with the quilt. It took me almost 5 months to get the quilt back. Being inexperienced I thought the quilt looked very nice. She did a different design in each block and then meandered around the borders. When I took my quilt to the quilt guild that I joined they all agreed that she should have quilted in the sashing that was around each block. She did nothing in any of the sashing. The meandering in the border on one side is probably a good two to 3 inches from the edge compared to the other 3 sides and she has 2 big blurps (folds) in the backing where it was not pulled tight. I was charged $300.00. They just about died when I told them this, said it was way to much. They told me I should not say anything to her. I am just sick. Is it a no no to talk to her about this. She has a beautiful quilt shop that I have bought a lot of fabric from.

If I were her, I would rather have you come talk to me if you are dissatisfied, rather than have everyone talking about it, and not know...It must be heartbreaking to do all that beautiful work and not be happy with the end result. Perhaps you can get referrals from the board for a quilter for future projects..I don't have any as I hand quilt all my work..Good Luck

If you are not happy with the quilting, I would definitely take the quilt back to the longarm business and show her the 'blurps', etc. Mistakes do happen, however, it should not be the customers responsibility to pay good money for them. Just my 2 cents.

Blog Entries
    How sad to do so much work and not have it quilted right. I agree go speak to her, all of my quilts are quilted edge to edge I have never had it any other way as for the price yes it was high.
    Warm Regards,
    Sandra

That seems a high price even if she had done a good job. I would certainly take it back. Maybe one of her employees did the actual quilting and she isn't aware of the mess.
    Lord, please keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

Blog Entries
    I have had only one quilt done by a LA because the price is so high. Even though the one I took only cost $150 that is a lot to me, especially as I make a lot of quilts. Also, the one I took came back even worse than yours and I think it was pieced just fine. I started FMQing my quilts. I figured if it was going to look like an amature quilted it I may as well do it myself. I certainly don't do work like Charisma (on this Board) for instance, but I do fine for my quilts. I have several designs I can do pretty well and work okay on my quilts.

Take the quilt in to show her your concerns. Not sure on pricing since you don't say what size it is. You should expect between a penny to three cents per inch depending on the detail in the quilting. Good luck.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    I don't understand you stated you liked the finished product to begin with. That to me is a high price but you agreed to it. On second thought if you decided you are unhappy talk to her
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

I am a quilter and you should say something.Maybe she did not see the blurps-but she needs to know.$300 is a lot of money.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

That's sounds like a very high price for the type of work done, even if it were perfect. I think you should bring it back and discuss your concerns. Definitely get references for next time, and be sure to carefully look over your completed quilt before paying in the future.

Based on what you are saying she must have done what is known as "Custom" quilting (3-5 cents per sq in) rather than "All Over" (about 1.5 cents per square in where I am). I do think that I would take it back in and explain that you are a new quilter and that you were so excited that you didn't see the areas that you feel are not acceptable. I would think that she would either offer to fix them or give you a discount. In the future be sure to ask what your options are in regards to quilting and the prices. I really feel that most of the time an all over is fine for most quilts

If it was me, I would take it in and show what you feel is wrong with the quilt...hopefully it will get fixed to your satisfaction. You paid a lot of money, and you should be happy with the work that was done on the quilt.

Absolutely take it back and give her the opportunity to fix it! You paid her very well and you have every right to expect that there be no "blurps" on the back, no any other issues. If she doesn't want to fix it, then ask for your money back and take it to someone else. For future reference - decide exactly what you want and make sure it is in writing. Unless you can absolutely trust a quilters creative sense to "make it pretty", you will have to be specific. Definitely discuss price - it sounds like you were overcharged, but without knowing quilt size it's a difficult call.

You don't mention if anything besides the quilting was provided for that price. Did it include batting or backing? You also don't mention the size of the quilt. $300 would be custom quilting price on a fairly large size quilt. There are many, many UGR patterns out there so we have no way of knowing. So I can't say if that price is out of line or not. It certainly sounds high if you provided everything even if the quilt was as large as 96 x 106 (rough guesstimate based on .03 per s/i).

However, the wrinkles on the backing and large disparity between the quilting in the borders should be brought to her attention. I am surprised the ladies at the guild said to say nothing. I would definitely want to know if a customer was not satisfied with one of my jobs! I would think some form of compensation is in order. But only YOU can determine what is fair. Remember, when you speak to the LQS owner that when you first saw the completed quilt you were happy with it, it was only when others pointed out the mistakes that you became dissatisfied.

I think you should talk to her. That is a lot of money for a job that is not done right!!!

I do longarm quilting and it is very easy to miss something that needs re-done or is incomplete. If it were me, I would definitely want you to bring it to my attention. In fact, I ask all my customers to look their quilts over carefully and please let me know if they find something I may have missed. I also have their quilt hanging up for them to see when they come to pick it up, just so they can see the entire front and back easily, before I bag the quilt. Please do talk to her about your concerns. I am sure she will want you to be happy and in the end you will both be happier. Right now you are not happy, and she is unaware.

Big folds in the backing are not acceptable, and these should be brought to the quilter's attention. Quilting in the sashing could be looked at as a design decision. I prefer to quilt in the sashing unless it is very narrow and the blocks are outlined, in which case it looks okay unquilted. Borders should be evenly quilted all around. I think you should take the quilt back in, explain your concerns, and see what the quilter has to say. I agree that she may have had someone else do the quilting, but she is still the one responsible for the work.

I don't understand why anyone would tell you not to say anything to her. She is in a business, and needs to know when there are problems with that business. Now that other ladies in the guild have seen your quilt, they will be less likely to take their quilts to her - unless they know that she has fixed the problem.

I think you should take it to her and explain to her just like you did here in your post. Give her the chance to make things right, but if she doesn't, just don't ever use her again. If I were doing a job and knew that several people thought it wasn't up to par, I'd want to know because bad word of mouth is a definite business killer. And you of course have a right to the kind of job you paid for (BTW, that does sound rather high if was only for the quilting).

We have a shop here that does beautiful work and she charges 80.00 full, 100.00 queen and 150.00 king. $300.00 sounds really high to me. Maybe it is location?

I sent a huge Queen quilt to Charisma on this board. With shipping both ways (IL to WA & back) and her furnishing the batting and sewing the binding to the front on her machine it was nowhere near that much. And she did a wonderful, beautiful job!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I had a king and sent it out to be quilted. I didn't ask for a custom job, but the gal did it and charged me $280. It looked beautiful but I was in total shock by the price. Now I'm very careful when deciding what I want my quilts to look like. I've never had a bad experience with the outcome of a LAQ. I'm always pleased. But if someone pointed out the mistakes that were made, I would go back in and explain that you didn't notice it at first. I bet she will be very kind and fix it immediately for you. Don't be afraid. She wants you to be happy and use her again and spread good words about her work. So let her fix the quilt for you.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I'm just wondering if the ladies in your quild are friends of hers?
    Lord, please keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

I have had large quilts, queen size, custom quilted and I never paid $300.00. I think that is way to high.

Why on earth would you NOT talk to her about it? Unless she is the only quilt shop within a hundred miles and you're afraid she won't let you back in. But as a customer you have a right to express your concerns. Remember, one unhappy customer can mean a great deal to any business. Look how many of us you have told about this, though not mentioning the name of the shop. If she is a decent person, she will want to make you happy.

Blog Entries
    Thanks so much for your advice ladies.

I have already contacted her per the majority of suggestions. She said there is nothing she can do about the two folds in the back and she is going to try and run another line of meandering on the one side that is lacking. She said that she feels she can make this look OK without others noticing unless I bring it to their attention which I certainly would not be doing. She is going to do stitching in the sashing after I told her I really would prefer this. She is not going to charge me for this. Some of you ladies were asking what size my quilt is, it is a queen. When I first left my quilt with her I did ask what she would charge but she could not give me a price as she said she wanted to do something special in each block. The ladies in the guild said this was not specialized quilting. Like I said, I am new at this and have no idea. They really feel that I was taken advantage of. Well, live and learn.

I really appreciate all the advice you gave.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast