Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some help with an EQ7 design >

Need some help with an EQ7 design

Need some help with an EQ7 design

Old 07-03-2016, 03:09 PM

Default Need some help with an EQ7 design

I designed this on EQ7. It's called Stepping Stars. The four big blocks shown are not sewed together--just on my design wall. I've worked hard at getting it together the easiest way. I love it, but there are some frustrations I wondered if someone could help me with. The biggest issue is accuracy--no seams need to line up until all four blocks are sewed together, but one side of a block will be longer, and I just feel it should come out closer. The blocks should be square. One 1" piece by the red square will always come out crooked--I had to rip half of them and make the seam less than 1/4" for it to be even. I've double/tripled checked my accuracy in cutting pieces and I'm using the 1/4" foot--which I never use and have never had a problem with 1/4" accuracy in all the patterns I've made. I checked EQ7 for the directions closest to 1/8" and 1/16" and they are the same--so it's not that. Ideas anyone?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553361[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0039-1-.jpg  
Old 07-03-2016, 03:15 PM

So right now you have only the four squares and need to sew them together??

I would measure all four of them to determine their exact size. Put post it notes on each side you measure so you remember. Then I would trim the squares so they are all the same as the smallest measurement (or within 1/8" which you can "ease in" with pins). Then sew.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:44 PM

Well--the small four blocks that make up the big four-block piece are the ones that differ. I trimmed so they match in the big blocks, but it makes me crazy they are off more than 1/8". I haven't sewed these four together yet because I wanted to check to see if the grands needed a wall hanging--which would be two of them. lol
Old 07-03-2016, 05:44 PM

Is there any chance that they are getting distorted when pressed? Most of the time when I have a problem with blocks not being right I can trace it to my pressing technique.

Rob
Old 07-03-2016, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum View Post
I'm using the 1/4" foot--which I never use and have never had a problem with 1/4" accuracy in all the patterns I've made.
This one sentence made me sit up. Let me make sure I understand - you've not had a problem with quarter-inch seams until you started using this foot? Have you checked to see if the foot helps you sew an accurate quarter-inch seam? Don't measure the seam allowance - cut two 2-inch squares out of scraps, sew them together, open and press (don't iron, just press). The patches should measure 3.5" across. If they don't, then your seam allowances will be off.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:12 AM
Power Poster

You need to draw the one block in the your EQ block sketchbook. Then when you put your 4 blocks into the quilt sketchbook, you can rotate them or flip the block to get your desired layout. In your block sketchbook, you draw the finished size of the blocks. But you can print out the block rotary cutting instruction (must be in the block sketchbook) and that will give you your cutting design for one block so just times 4 for each cutting instructions.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Is there any chance that they are getting distorted when pressed? Most of the time when I have a problem with blocks not being right I can trace it to my pressing technique.

Rob
That certainly could happen with the spot I was having trouble with--that 1" strip by the red block. And I thought of that and checked it--I pulled it out and measured and it was still not even, so I ripped it out half way then resewed with a smaller seam and it looks perfect. But--it should be perfect without having to do that. Plus--my Sharp iron went last week, so I bought a Rowenta and it has a nice pointed tip for pushing those seams out.

I added all the sides of the pattern up last night too--but they are all the same. I was thinking maybe EQ7 goofed on one size of one piece. Nope. It has to be me--somewhere.
Such mysteries this pattern--although so simple--is creating!

I did sew the four big blocks together last night. It went together fine because I trimmed the blocks when small. I'll add some 2" borders in white--and get her done.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
You need to draw the one block in the your EQ block sketchbook. Then when you put your 4 blocks into the quilt sketchbook, you can rotate them or flip the block to get your desired layout. In your block sketchbook, you draw the finished size of the blocks. But you can print out the block rotary cutting instruction (must be in the block sketchbook) and that will give you your cutting design for one block so just times 4 for each cutting instructions.
That's how I created it. ;-)
Old 07-04-2016, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
This one sentence made me sit up. Let me make sure I understand - you've not had a problem with quarter-inch seams until you started using this foot? Have you checked to see if the foot helps you sew an accurate quarter-inch seam? Don't measure the seam allowance - cut two 2-inch squares out of scraps, sew them together, open and press (don't iron, just press). The patches should measure 3.5" across. If they don't, then your seam allowances will be off.
I've never used a 1/4" foot until putting the last 8 blocks of this together. After checking everything I decided to switch to it to see if it made a difference. It didn't. I've been quilting for 20 years and have mastered the 1/4" seam--I draw lines on my machine to get it exact--and my patterns have always gone together nicely, so I've never worried about it. I measure it now and then just to be sure. This pattern was making me wonder--so I made the switch. No difference--blocks still off.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Have you considered resorting to old-fashioned graph paper to recreate the design - and then add seam allowances?