Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some help figuring this out! >

Need some help figuring this out!

Need some help figuring this out!

Old 07-18-2018, 11:07 AM

Default Need some help figuring this out!

I have been squaring some blocks. (Cannot figure out how to post a pic) The blocks are made from 3 strips sewn together then cut into 45° triangles. 2 triangles make up a block. When squaring them, sometimes my seam line does not end up exactly in the corner...it’s like off set 1/4” or more...

Any insight?
Old 07-18-2018, 11:39 AM

Can you post a picture of the blocks with the ruler on them? How are you squaring them? So you have a square with a diagonal seam between the two triangles? What is the finished size of the blocks?

You will square from the center diagonal line and work out. There may be UNequal amounts of fabric to trim.

Hope that helps. It's hard to help and follow without pictures and more information. Other quilters may have better suggestions to help you.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:36 AM
Power Poster

First, make sure your strip set is carefully pressed so it's width is exactly the same across the whole strip and all the strip sets are the same width. Next, make sure that you are cutting the triangles accurately. Are you using a triangle ruler/template or the 45 degree line on your ruler? When you go to sew the 2 triangles together, do they match pretty closely? If not, your cutting may be off or the strips are different widths. Finally, when you sew the triangles together make sure your seam is consistent. Sometimes you veer off at the ends, or you are distorting the bias edge.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:51 AM

It sounds to me as if you are making half square triangles with strip sets. If that is the case, when I square up HST's, I place the 45 degree line on the diagonal seam and then square all the sides from that measurement.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:58 AM
Power Poster

still don't know why you must square them up. can you post photos? if you lay your triangle ruler on them to trim, make sure the center line is down the center of the triangle. good luck.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:34 AM

Hi JoAnn! Welcome to the Quilt Board

While I can't help you with the block squaring, here are 2 links that may help with posting pictures.
How to Upload (Post) Photos
Preparing (Resizing) Photos For Successful Upload and Viewing

If that doesn't help check the Quilt Board help desk at the bottom of the home page.