Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some help from you pet lovers...... >

Need some help from you pet lovers......

Need some help from you pet lovers......

Old 09-01-2010, 12:54 PM

I have a Dashound Buster he uses a blanket year around.

When I had my other dogs they had their blankets too and they took them to doggie heaven when they left us.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:56 PM

I have made ones from denim & flannel like a rag quilt. My Gracie just loves hers in the winter & on cool nights laying around the house. They hold up very well & no batting to come out if it gets a hoel from all the loving. ;-)
Old 09-01-2010, 04:27 PM

I would make the doggy blankets without batting. If they are shredders, the batting will be everywhere. Use flannel or fleece in place of the batting.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Dee

My Baby Kokoa has three quilts. She is 15 and gets cooler at nite and loves the blankie on.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Banned

when I had my dogs, they loved there blankets, they would get so excited after there bath, when I would put down a clean blanket for them. God bless.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by himnherr
I would like to make a friend of mine something for her 2 beloved dogs. One is smallish cutesy and one is not- smallish or cutesy! :lol: Actually, she's not that bad- just not to my liking- but they are both very special to her. So, I was wondering- do dogs use blankets ? (i.e. quilts) or do I need to make it a compete boxy type pad with foam or something in it? I'm leaning toward wanting to make them small blankets for their already existing beds. I have lots of denim and even some fabric that looks like mattress ticking.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Wanna know why I'm making these? She's getting married for her first time (she's 56 years old) has always just had pets- not children. When I looked on their bridal registry I noticed they had listed some pet stuff. I'd love to make her something for them since they have been a huge part of her life. If you have a better idea than a doggie blanket, please do tell....
My great dane loves blankets; and loves the purple quilt I made her last week. They like to squish them up and make a nest to cuddle in. Fleece works really well, very washable. You could put fleece on one side and quilt squares on the other and then just stitch on the diagonal in both directions. I would use doggie prints.
I'm with you on this one, with one exception. Use the fleece, forget the piecing. My Scotties love to burrow and nest, digging and digging - as they were bred to do. Anything pieced will get shredded in this house so they aren't allowed on my quilts. I think they'd shy away from something as tough as denim. They love their fleece lined crates and ottoman cover made from a cotton bath mat. So, my recommendation would be to buy some cute doggie-patterned fleece, fringe the edges, tie cloth ribbons/bows around them and present the new bride & groom with 2 hand made, thoughtful gifts.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:10 AM

My Lucy loves quilts but she also likes the toys I make her. I traced a dog bone treat and blew it up---cut it out and stuffed it, went to the thrift store and bought a couple of animals with squeakers in them and put them in the bone---she loves it. Also took 3 pieces of fleece cut 3 inches wide by width and braided them together knotting at each end and made her tug of war rope. The vets say it is easier on their gums than a rope and I can throw it in the washing machine to clean it. You could make a smaller one and a larger one for them. Denim sounds good for the quilts---I would definitely recommend at least 1/2 inch seams and quilt them close by machine.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:53 PM

I didn't read the whole thread so this might have already been mentioned, but when my dogs stay at the vets, they always come home wearing a triangle scarf of pawprint fabric. Somewhow incorporating the wdding into the design of it would be cool
Old 09-06-2010, 02:21 AM

I made a quilt for my cat.Now she wont need it any more. My daughter had 2 dogs and they use old blankets and bags for their bed. Do not put foam in because the dogs will chew it up and can get pieces in their throats.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:17 AM

I think your friend will be tickled pink that you want to make something for her dogs. We have always had dogs and they do become like family. My husband and I joke that now that our human kids are grown, the five four legged animals that share our lives are like our "kids" (3 dogs, 2 cats).

I've made several square boxy style beds that my dogs love. Our pups are getting up there in age so I used what was left of a memory foam bed pad my daughter's dog chewed on and made covers with zippers so they are easily removed and washed.

Our middle pup has adopted the couch (with blanket, of course) as hers. When she was having difficulties with her knee I made her a "floor couch (I think it was a McCalls sewing pattern) so she wouldn't have to jump and they all love it. My oldest will lay on anything that "smells" of us as long as it is near me.

What ever you choose, use sturdy materials and as someone suggested, extra space in the seam allowance. It probably goes without saying the make sure it is easily washable (fabric & size wise). Have fun!