Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Suggestions for Asian Inspired Quilt Designs and Patterns >

Need Suggestions for Asian Inspired Quilt Designs and Patterns

Need Suggestions for Asian Inspired Quilt Designs and Patterns

Old 12-11-2013, 10:35 AM

I got a whole bunch of asian inspired fabrics. Most are fairly large designs so i did an attic window with a different print in each window. I would post a better pic but my husband is all wrapped up in it right now.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 12-11-2013, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I made a 12 Moons quilt from this free pattern. http://www.robertkaufman.com/assets/...lveMoonsFP.pdf
it went together really quickly! I substituted the moons in the corners with the fans because I had the fan printed fabric by Michael Miller
Beautiful! Would you call that a Bento Box design?
Old 12-11-2013, 10:54 AM

I kinda like the Chinese Lanterns pattern on http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa...se_lantern.htm because I can mix and match the fabrics and it's not too modern, not too traditional. I have no idea what the inside of her house is like, other than what she's told me.

Another "look" that I like is this one: http://www.designbyaika.com/images/g...all/Spring.jpg

Lastly, I saw that someone on this board did a crane pattern that was nice. I found the image on Bing Images.

~ Cindy
Old 12-11-2013, 11:07 AM

It really is great. She includes sashiko as well! Hope you like.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=tropit;6451403]Very pretty! How hard is that block to do? I love it. I only have a month to get this project done. Does it go fast?
~ Cindy[/QUOTE The blocks are surprisingly easy. The head section is pieced. The rest is done by laying squares folded in half to form triangles, over the batiks base fabric square and rectangles. The bias edges of the triangles are then rolled back and stitched down to create the curve effect after the sections are put together. I am going to make 2 more of the black blocks and do a horizontal row for either a wallhanging or a table runner.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:24 AM

Cool

Yes! I'd like to include some Sashiko needlework too! I've never done it before though.

Here's one more design I've found. This "Lanterns" pattern looks more complex. I love it, but I only have one month to start and finish this quilt. I went to Shabori Dragon and picked out the perfect combo of fabrics, in my friend's favorite colors. I've also found some batiks on sale in that color grouping. So, I'm on my way!

OH...that window pane design is lovely. I like that concept too. Thanks for everyone's help!

~ Cindy
Attached Thumbnails lanterns.jpg  
Old 12-11-2013, 11:32 AM

[QUOTE=Tartan;6451643]
Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Very pretty! How hard is that block to do? I love it. I only have a month to get this project done. Does it go fast?
~ Cindy[/QUOTE The blocks are surprisingly easy. The head section is pieced. The rest is done by laying squares folded in half to form triangles, over the batiks base fabric square and rectangles. The bias edges of the triangles are then rolled back and stitched down to create the curve effect after the sections are put together. I am going to make 2 more of the black blocks and do a horizontal row for either a wallhanging or a table runner.
Wow! I thought that the whole block was appliqued. That's an interesting way to do things. Do you have a pattern?
~ Cindy
Old 12-11-2013, 03:10 PM

I also love Asian prints and panels but never quite sure how to use them...other than to just stare at them :-) While at Houston Quilt Show this year I saw a pattern called Winter Magic that is a Christmas quilt but as soon as I saw it I knew I had the perfect pattern for a few of my Asian panels and fabrics. Here is a picture of the Christmas one as it came and then one I made with Asian panel.
Attached Thumbnails wintermagic.jpg  
Old 12-11-2013, 04:24 PM

Beautiful! Now, those are even my friend's colors!
Old 12-11-2013, 04:37 PM

This one created by Feline Fanatic is my favorite Asian print quilt.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...c-t207883.html