Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need suggestions for marking tools >

Need suggestions for marking tools

Need suggestions for marking tools

Old 05-20-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by coolcat
Thank you for the web site. Sounds like a great pencil. On the site, I didn't see a place to order it. Where can I buy one of these Fabric Pencils?
You can Google it for retail outlets. I know Hancocks of Paducah sells it as does the Fat Quarter Shop. It's made by United Notions, makers of Moda Fabrics. My LQS sells them so that's where I get mine.

Originally Posted by Jannie
Does it say not to iron over Sewline pencil lines? Seems like I used it once, ironed, & the lines were permanant.
Yes, the package says to erase the pencil lines before ironing (I would do this with any marking pencil anyway). Testing on the fabric to be used is also recommended on the package. The lines are very easy to erase with either the included eraser (or any soft eraser) or with dabbed water. I've used the white lead on black fabric and it came out without a trace.

The only thing to be careful of is in using the eraser. If you erase on the bias, you can stretch the fabric if you are over zealous in your rubbing.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
My favourites are watercolor pencils. They rub off after a while and all remaining lines go with the first the time the quilt is washed. I always look for a color that fits the fabric, a few shades darker or lighter.
For light fabrics (especially solids) I use the method of needle marking, therefore I don't have to remove any marking lines.
just looked..the crayola s that i have are "ccolored pencils"the same or wrong again !!?