Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Suggestions for Nursing Home Door Dec for My Mom >

Need Suggestions for Nursing Home Door Dec for My Mom

Need Suggestions for Nursing Home Door Dec for My Mom

Old 05-08-2018, 02:19 AM

Wink Basket full of flowers

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Maybe something bright, cheery and small. My Mom was in a nursing home for some time and it seems that she liked anything with flowers and bright colors. Good luck and I am sure someone on this board will give you some great ideas.
Jordan's comment about anything with flowers and bright colors made me think of my Flower Basket wall hanging I have in my sewing room. There are a few yo yo flowers. Happy 100th bday to your mother.
Attached Thumbnails 2014-gcqg-challenge-flower-basket.jpg  
Old 05-08-2018, 05:06 AM

Super Member, that is a beautiful Flower Basket wall hanging! Do you remember the pattern name?
Old 05-08-2018, 06:38 AM

What a cute idea. I might need to make some for myself.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:40 AM

Tartan,

I like the dimensions of your wall hanging vs. a larger one. Would you share the dimensions, by any chance?
Old 05-08-2018, 06:41 AM

I think the door hanger is a fabulous idea. But how do you attach it to the door at the home ? typically, they are covered with laminate.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:42 PM

If your Mom has any issues with forgetfulness or dementia, be careful about frequent changes of her door hanging. Consistent use of her name plus a dominant bright color might provide a reasonable compromise. For my mom, I made a pearl button flower bouquet wall hanging. Staff at her assisted living home hung it in her bathroom. Even after my Mom's memory faded, she frequently asked "Who made this ?" Staff would answer "Someone who loves you." My mom would smile.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

For those with steel doors, take one of those business card magnets that we all seem to acquire. Cut it in half horizontally. Punch small holes in each corner. Use these holes to attach the magnet to the back of the quiltlet...one in each corner. Works great. We put magnetic picture frames on the back side of FIL's bathroom door. With the door closed it was a great backdrop for his grands' and friends pictures.

Can you use command hooks on laminate doors? If so the very lightweight clear ones are heavy duty enough to handle those little gems. Take 2 small squares....2.5 or 3". Fold each on the diagonal to create a HST. Before sewing on the binding place these in the upper right and left hand corners. Attach the binding as usually encompassing the raw edges of the triangles in the corners. This creates a little upside down pocket to insert a wooden dowel across the top corner to corner. Bamboo skewers are a great size and are easy to cut to size. Use the skewer to hang on the little hook.

Check this link out for other ideas:

https://thesewingloftblog.com/how-to-hang-your-quilt/

Last edited by oksewglad; 05-08-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
Tartan,

I like the dimensions of your wall hanging vs. a larger one. Would you share the dimensions, by any chance?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]594213[/ATTACH]The Welcome hanger is 10-1/2 by 14 inches. The button on minis are 6 by 9 inches. Here is a drawing
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 05-08-2018, 06:44 PM

A word of caution - make sure you check with the facility before hanging anything on her door. Our family put up different things on our mom's door and then the facility changed their policy. They said it was a fire hazard and not allowed anymore. A really like the idea of small wall-hangings inside the room where she will be able to see. We change out moms' decorations every season.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:57 PM

A sign that says “Stella’s Place” or something like that with her name on it might help her feel more ownership of her space and also help the new staff remember her name.