Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need suggestions regarding our guild boutique >

need suggestions regarding our guild boutique

need suggestions regarding our guild boutique

Old 04-19-2011, 05:29 PM

I would like to ask the board for some suggestions. I am the chairperson for our guild's boutique for our quilt show next year. I have 3 great ladies on my committee and we would like to pull together a nice, "classy" boutique. The type people look forward to attending. Besides our beautiful quilts we feel the boutique items are also a reflection on our guild's talents. Our problem is some of the items being turned in to us are, I'm sorry to say, kind of tacky and more rummage sale quality. We are planning to set up some workshops for guild members who wish to participate with various items that aren't hard to make but are a step above the usual finds. We fully realize some times it's the best some one can do. Others seem to think it's a good place to donate "castoffs. How would you suggest to the guild the kind of goal we'd like to set for the boutique without offending or hurting anyone's feelings?
I appreciate any guidance. I'm new at this. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:38 PM

Could you come up with a theme?

Maybe suggest specific type items?

Good luck with your project
Old 04-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Google Goddess

you could set up sew days to make things for the guild boutique, that way they are learning at the same time and for good quality things to sell
Old 04-19-2011, 05:46 PM

Unfortunately, some one IS going to get mad because her less than top grade project won't be accepted. So find someone everyone loves to accept or deny each item.

A 90 year old man or woman who is sharp and loves quality would be nice. At that age most of them don't much give a hoot what anyone thinks about their taste, and will tell that in plain words.

Or someone who has excellent taste and is moving in the next few months, right before the show is to be held.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
you could set up sew days to make things for the guild boutique, that way they are learning at the same time and for good quality things to sell
I like this idea, You could do like a craft of the day theme, have everyone bring their fabric, do a tutorial
Old 04-19-2011, 07:02 PM

i am sorry but i have very strong feeling about this issue----please accept with grace all you are offered----they are a gift---everyone starts some where---some never progress but as adults we need to be accepting + nurturing--your idears of sit and sew are a great idear-----you can tell when things are being dumped on you or given with love---ihave heard rumors of quilts donated to the queensland floods being dumped as not up to standard i do hope this is just a rumore
Old 04-19-2011, 07:14 PM

I felt the same way at my guild's show a few years back and made a suggestion that worked wonders. I set up a quilt boutique for quilted and other finished items, but accepted all donations and sold them on the other side of the building on a rummage sale. This way everyone donated items that were up for sale, but the rummage sale items didn't take away from the beauty of the finished items. Some people love to buy other people's unwanted items but don't buy finished items because they can make them themselves, while others prefer finished items because they can't sew. No need to keep them mixed up. Unsold items from the rummage sale were kept for the following show while for the finished items we gave everyone the option of taking them back or saving them for the next sale. Most people didn't want them back. Even if the items are not perfect, presentation is everything and with the right display, most people cannot tell they are not perfect. Good luck. This is a huge project to take on.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

We found that ready made items, no matter how nice, did not sell very well unless they were really cheap. Most guild members would rather make there own items. Donated fabric did sell well.
If you still want to use donated ready made items, have the person donating, put a price on them and pick them up after the show if they don't sell. That way no ones feelings get hurt and hopefully they take their less than perfect items back home.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:39 PM

Out local guild has done many boutiques. We always ask the members to bring something they would purchase if they did not quilt/sew. That sort of weeded out most of the undesirable items. We did very well with table runners, wall quilts, throws, pincushions, needle books, purses,candle mats, mug rugs, etc. The members did the pricing and if they were too high the items simply did not sell. Small inexpensive items sold best.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 PM

Great info here on a not so easy subject to tackle...Thanks