Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need suggestions for sewing with Granddaughter (age 5) >

Need suggestions for sewing with Granddaughter (age 5)

Need suggestions for sewing with Granddaughter (age 5)

Old 08-23-2019, 07:16 PM

Default Need suggestions for sewing with Granddaughter (age 5)

My granddaughter is coming Labor Day weekend for a short visit, I would love to have a project for her to sew. In the past visits, she has set on my lap and helped with embroidery (changing thread, watching it stitch out) and has been super patient.

I am looking for something she can sew that will be a quick project.

Any ideas???? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:58 PM

My little g-d and I made a pillow form which she then stuffed and sewed the opening closed, in a size for her dolls. Then we made a pillowcase to go over the form, just like the sausage pillowcases or burrito. When we left the opening in it, she cried. I tried to explain you Have to have an Opening or you can't get the pillow in!-lol I later told her mom to show her how she changes the bed clothes.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]616555[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]616556[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]616557[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc04229-qb-web.jpg   dsc04236-qb-web.jpg   dsc04237-qb-web.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-24-2019 at 02:27 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-23-2019, 09:43 PM

I had my grandkids sewing with me this year, ages 5,6,8 and 9, and they each made a pillowcase with the Magic Pillowcase ("sausage") pattern. It's simple enough they can make it with your help in the pinning and sewing a straight seam, and not too long a project that they lose interest. I had a few fabric combinations laid out for them to choose from. They loved it.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:41 PM

My DGS wanted to sew. He was seven. Loved going into my sewing room and looking at all the stuff. I pulled out my strip box and we practiced making a straight 1/4" seam. He loved it. He ended up making a bag for his toys out of leftover Star Wars fabrics I used in his quilt. I would listen to her and see what she wants to do. At 5 she may want a quilt for her doll. Simple squares.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:24 AM
Power Poster

Doll quilt, hair scrunchy, drawstring bag, headband, pillowcase....
Old 08-24-2019, 03:09 AM

Last summer when I was out with my 7 yr old g-d we made a tooth fairy pillow. She was getting ready to lose her 1st tooth. I will be going out on the 30th to visit and the sewing machine will be coming with me. My plan is to have her start her 1st sewed patch work. She has been practicing with each visit so now it is time to tackle a small quilt.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:15 AM

coasters, pillowcase, potholders. How abt a small doll blanket for her doll
Old 08-24-2019, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

My granddaughter was 4 when she started sewing. I set up a machine on her little Care Bear table so everything was * just her size* and I turned the speed control down to the lowest ( turtle speed) so no matter how hard she stepped on the foot pedal it didn’t get away from her. She made a special quilt for her daddy ( about to be deployed) she did everything except ironing. She cut her fabric with scissors. She laid out the fabrics she was using on the floor the way she wanted everything- did not want help- and I didn’t interfere. Some seams were 1 1/2” wide, some very narrow. It all worked for her. I even turned a tall dresser on its side in front of the longarm for her to walk on so she could quilt it too. She did it all herself. 14 years later that quilt has been all over the world and is still his prize possession.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:02 AM

I sew with my niece who is 9. We have made doll washcloths (4" squares) which was her request, something I never would have thought of. And a placemat, again her request and something I never would have thought of. My now grown daughter always loved getting a home made pillowcase for Christmas every year, it was always something she looked forward to when she was younger.

I agree with sewitalltogether, ask her and see what she wants to sew, as I learned from my niece, it might be something you never would have thought of.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

You might let her practice "sewing" on paper to learn how to "steer" - if she has not done so yet - before sewing on actual fabric.