Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Tips on Low-to-No Cost Fabs for Charity Quilts >

Need Tips on Low-to-No Cost Fabs for Charity Quilts

Need Tips on Low-to-No Cost Fabs for Charity Quilts

Old 01-19-2011, 04:25 PM

I also use left over fabric on these charity quilts, but thought if people want to donate for these I would gladly take the fabric rather than throwing it out.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:21 PM

While our LQS does not actually donate fabric, they have kindly put some containers in their back room to receive donations from other quilters - - for example, UFOs or scraps from quilts, and our shop owner has also included samples of fabric lines as they get out of date ....
I do a lot of shopping at thrift stores, selecting dresses, shirts, and whatever else will feel good in a quilt.
I have found that if I am going to do charity quilts, if I will align myself with others who have the outlet, they will keep me supplied ...
in fact - - maybe you could suggest to your LQS that you have some quilt tops that you intend for charity quilts and you will probably be directed to an organization in your area that will turn your quilt into a wonderful product for their outreach.
Select your desired outreach - - veterans? Get in touch with your local American Legion, VFW, or find a Quilts of Valor close to you.
Children and Youth? Again - - the American Legion (veterans' service organizations) Project Linus, McDonald's House, Union Gospel Mission, Salvation Army ...
Abused women? Check with your local churches - - a wonderful source of who is doing what to give comfort to others ...
you have the product, you just need to find your outlet .... and, hopefully, you can align yourself with like-minded people who love to give as much as you, in the area that you have chosen to gift.
Don't be surprised when you find yourself developing new abilities, gifts and talents by exposure to all these giving, loving people.
If you don't think you can accomplish any of this where you live, just PM me, and I will most assuredly be able to help you in some way <wave>
Old 01-26-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaLynn
Who do you donate the quilts to? I know that all the Children's Hospitals require donated quilts to be entirely 100 % cotton, prewashed, and machine quilted. They have strict size requirements also so I hear. But I've heard that they accept pillowcases with similar structure requirements. Someone told me they were making wheelchair lap quilts for the VA and that these had to be so very flexible and warm that they used a lot of fleece and only quilted with Stitch in the Ditch. For all of you who quilt for charity, THANK YOU!!!!, and please pass along the requirements. Maybe more of us will start.
If this has not been answered, I will tell you that Quilts of Valor and we in American Legion Department of Washington are making lap robes that measure 60" x 72" ... this is an excellent size for covering while laying down, folded in half will fit in a wheelchair just fine.
Charity donations basically take the want to and a place to deposit the product. I cannot think of any community that does not have a need and a way to help you work within the framework of what you like to do and are able to do <wave>
Old 01-26-2011, 08:26 PM

I went to 2 of our LQS and asked them in they would like to donate some frabic to our Church" Stitch together with prayer" group to make children quilts for our Women's Shelter. We made 15 small quilts and have more frabic to do more. Those LQS were private own. Maybe you can try at those stores if there are any in your area. Good luck
Ada