Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need: Workhorse pin cushion

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    My pin cushion ... is not a pin cushion!

Just the lid from a tin box with a cow magnet in it. Magnet sticks to the tin tray. Pins to the magnet. The low edge allows for easy access for retrieving the pins and I somewhat aim the pins and the magnet grabs them! If I need to take it anywhere then the bottom of the tin box can easily be added for travel. And bonus, the edge keeps my stitch ripper from rolling away.
    About the stitch ripper rolling away, that is so annoying. I wonder why no one has made one with a flat side on the handle so it will stay where you place it. It seems I spend a lot of time bending over to pick mine up off of the floor. I suppose it is good for the waistline but what a pain.
    Kitsy

Quote Originally Posted by mhollifiel View Post
    Thanks to all who weighed in so far. I have tried the magnet route and my arthritis really prefers that the pins be sticking up as pulling them off the magnet is not as effortless somehow. I think I may try QuiltNama's teacup idea as I have a stray small mug and some wool scraps that should work for this project. But I hate to stop my quilting long enough to make one.

What I had hoped for is a really FABULOUS flat pin cushion I could order already made. Then if I liked it, I could just order three or four! Anyone know a source where I can purchase the quilter's dream pin cushion?

I've got Arthur in my hands as well--------and the magnets are a blessing for me. There are always enough pins with the beady end up that I don't have a problem grabbing them. AND I have the magnetic wand too, to pick up dropped and scattered pins. THAT IS A BLESSING.

Once up at the church hall, I dropped the magnetic bowl on the concrete floor and pins flew everywhere. EASY CLEAN UP. I just "swept" the floor with the bottom of the bowl. If I'd not had the magnetics, I'd still be crying.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by kitsykeel View Post
    About the stitch ripper rolling away, that is so annoying. I wonder why no one has made one with a flat side on the handle so it will stay where you place it. It seems I spend a lot of time bending over to pick mine up off of the floor. I suppose it is good for the waistline but what a pain.

I wrote to Fons and Porter and told them they needed to make one side slightly flat so the blooming thing didn't roll like crazy. No response.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by kitsykeel View Post
    I do have two stitch rippers that are flat sided ... and two that are rounded.
    3 for sure are Clover. Forget about the 4th.
    Guess what?
    ............ the rounded ones are more comfortable when I am working with them and are my preferred choices!
    They are all fairly sharp and fine, so equal as far as their stitch ripping ability.

(compared to some that the the point is coarse and dull ... those I don't even try to keep and send them straight to the garbage as I know they will only be a continual annoyance.)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
    Go to Harbor Freight and for a few dollars you can buy a magneto bowl. I have two. Good things about it is that it has heavy rubberized bottom and holds many pins. I LOVE mine especially for pins.
    Mmm, another reason for me to go with my husband to Harbor Freight...it is one of his favorite stops, and in the same shopping center is a nice thrift store which I also visit. I did buy those cutting blades for the rotary cutter, but I did not have much luck with them, darn. Thanks for the tip, Tashana!

find a nice oblong ceramic dish...with a ridge on the bottom....insert a magnet on bottom and magnet inside dish. Works well as a magnetic pin cushion and cheap...Some people glue the magnets on the bottom but I don't. I find it works with just the magnetic pull. I sometimes use two magnets side by side it it fits.

Quote Originally Posted by karenpatrick View Post
    Keep your magneto bowl away from your computerized machine. Magnets and pins can play havoc with the computers in your machine.
    And dont forget that many sewing machines are in fact computers. If you liked your old one it seems to me that you don't need to buy paint, you could glue fabric around the base, fill the can with rice or pennies, then instead of fiberfill use pantihose, batting scraps, or my personal favorite sand. You can buy play sand in a small container at hobby lobby,

I found a rolled up wool felt pincushion at a quilt show that I just LOVE! It has a flat bottom and the lanolin in the wool keeps the pins slipping in and out of the fabric with ease. It's probably about 2" deep and maybe 4" wide, so it holds those long flower head pins easily. The only problem is that the cats keep knocking it on the floor and the dogs like to chew the wool, so I have to remember to put it out of cats reach when I'm done sewing!

I got a round felted wool ball pincushion on ebay that I cut the bottom off so it's flat, it's a nice size about 5" diameter. I also bought a half one at the same time (has a magnet on bottom to hold it in place) it's fine stuck on my 401a for the pins I pull out as I sew but I prefer the other one for long pins and for carrying around to different sewing areas.

I own three of those, and I don't know how I lived without them. Just one word of advice; don't put them near your scissors or any other metal object because it will attach itself to the item. :-)

I have a seam ripper that came with a Singer sewing machine I purchased in the 70's - it is acrylic with square shape that comes to a curved tip at the end. Luv it. Use it for not only unsewing but for turning corners, etc. Just great. it is always where I laid it. Only problem, you guessed it, can't remember where I laid it!

Blog Entries
    Reading through this entry made me think of my very favorite pin cushion, which was given to me as a Christmas many, many years ago (during the 70s probably). In sorority, we had secret sisters, and that year mine was a knitter. She knitted no telling how long a strip about 4" wide, then rolled it up real tight, and voila, my most favorite pin cushion through many AF moves, and then other moves that the AF didn't pay for, and has gotten pretty dirty, but that's OK with me--it still holds a blue million pins of all sizes, plus needles and safety pins, and even my small seam rippers. Think about it, knitters, and do us a tute--only I can't knit--I would have to swap out quilting a quilt for her or some such; but I would welcome a new one.....
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Here is opinne that looks like a work horse http://www.etsy.com/listing/97091506...ttern-posy-pin. Only a $1 for the pattern. I would love to see pictures of all these favored pin cushions you are all writting about.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
    Reading through this entry made me think of my very favorite pin cushion, which was given to me as a Christmas many, many years ago (during the 70s probably). In sorority, we had secret sisters, and that year mine was a knitter. She knitted no telling how long a strip about 4" wide, then rolled it up real tight, and voila, my most favorite pin cushion through many AF moves, and then other moves that the AF didn't pay for, and has gotten pretty dirty, but that's OK with me--it still holds a blue million pins of all sizes, plus needles and safety pins, and even my small seam rippers. Think about it, knitters, and do us a tute--only I can't knit--I would have to swap out quilting a quilt for her or some such; but I would welcome a new one.....
    oldtnquiltinglady--Could you cut off the knitted waist band from an old sweater, zig zag the edges before it unravels, and roll it into a pincushion??

Blog Entries
    I love this board. This has been all kinds of help. This crowd is AMAZING and my favorite stop on the web!
    Thank you all so much.
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

Blog Entries
    I got a great pincushion on etsy that is filled with emery, very heavy and stable. Seller is LoveLaurie. You got alot of great DIY ideas here though!
    Blessed Be
    Darlene

Blog Entries
    Made me smile also as my mother (and my x husband) worked at a magnet company that made cow magnets. I still remember the first time that I heard of them. What?????? You gotta be kidding but of course, they weren't. I still have a couple of them. I was a "big city" girl and knew nothing about cows except that was where milk or beef came from. LOL. Do they still use them?
    Quote Originally Posted by tulip43 View Post
    made me smile about the cow magnet, as I have used them for quite awhile. most people do not know what they are.or what they were used for, brings back memories

Has antone tried the crushed walnut shells to fill a pin cushion? I saw this at a quilt show but failed to buy because I didn't know if it was a good idea.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

My favorite pin cushion is made from pattern McCall's 2452. It's about 7" across. The pin cushion fabric is lined with batting. You then stuff it with fiberfill and pour about a cup of cat litter in the middle. It's great and the cat litter seems to sharpen the pins. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by lenorede View Post
    I own three of those, and I don't know how I lived without them. Just one word of advice; don't put them near your scissors or any other metal object because it will attach itself to the item. :-)
    I put all my tools on my right side and I'm always pulling my scissors off the pin tray. one of those aggravations that doesn't bother me enough to change.
    U N T I E

Thanks for starting this thread. I almost bought one of those big tomatoes on Saturday. I'm glad I didn't. I'm going to try filling something with rice.
    Last edited by hannajo; 01-14-2013 at 07:11 AM.
    ~hannajo~
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

Sometime ago, I made up a tutorial for a "pincushion and attached scrap bag "and placed it in the tutorial section of Quilt Board - therefore, you can type into the search space pincushion and attached scrap bag and you will see step by step instructions and pictures to make yours. I have made about 85 of these, and those recipients have told me this is their favourite pincushion.

I do not have any extras left over, and it costs about $15 - $20 to mail them to homes in the USA (due to the weight), so not cost effective for me to make them and send them to USA folks, as it would cost you upwards of $40.
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

I'm 69 & remember making the tuna can pin cushion way back when I was in Girl Scouts. I think we stuffed the bottom of the tin & the lid with old nylons. The lid was left attached to the can & then thin colored foam was cut to cover all sides. Lace trim was glued around the edges. Funny, I had a flashback to these when opening a can of tuna last week.

Blog Entries
    The pin cushion I liked the best was: the base was made by a furniture manufacture and was a round with a well of about 1/2inch in the middle . Intl this well fitted a polystyrene ball cut in half. Cover with velvet. It was great. But if you pushed pins into the same place too often made a whole. Have base but cannt think how to or what to use for top.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by blueheavenfla View Post
    Made me smile also as my mother (and my x husband) worked at a magnet company that made cow magnets. I still remember the first time that I heard of them. What?????? You gotta be kidding but of course, they weren't. I still have a couple of them. I was a "big city" girl and knew nothing about cows except that was where milk or beef came from. LOL. Do they still use them?
    ....... so you were one of the vulnerable ones to be told that those magnets were for sticking cows on to your frig!!

Yes, indeed ... they are definitely used in livestock still.
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast