Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need your opinions-pricing Walker Bags >

Need your opinions-pricing Walker Bags

Need your opinions-pricing Walker Bags

Old 07-28-2010, 06:27 PM

Love the colors. Not sure what would be a good price. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:30 PM

I think I'd pay $20 - $25 for one...
Old 07-28-2010, 08:12 PM

Do you have an outlet? I made these for craft fairs and I wasn't able to sell but one or two and I live near an 'old fart' community with lots of nursing homes and assisted living places.

As far as the fabric goes, try the discounted area of your LQS. Mine has great fabric on for 4 bucks a yard, but it is lines that are several years old.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:32 PM

I would pay up to $20.00 for it as a gift. They are so handy that it would sure help out someone that had to use a walker
Old 07-28-2010, 08:55 PM

I agree..GREAT idea, but find a way to get decent fabric cheaper to increase your profit. Maybe buy by the bolt and or wholesale??
Old 07-28-2010, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Do you have an outlet? I made these for craft fairs and I wasn't able to sell but one or two and I live near an 'old fart' community with lots of nursing homes and assisted living places.

As far as the fabric goes, try the discounted area of your LQS. Mine has great fabric on for 4 bucks a yard, but it is lines that are several years old.
I do have a potential market. There is a very large (private pay) assisted care/Alzheimer's care retirement community near my home. The residents pay $5000+ per month to live there, so they are not living with a very small budget.

I wish one of my LQS's had "older" fabric for sale. One of the LQS's I go to has some of the same fabric I bought 3 years ago, but she NEVER has anything on sale. :cry:
Old 07-29-2010, 03:48 AM

I would try to get the material price down by using a cheaper fabric. I'm sure most that need the walker bag are on a more limited income. Have you tried a Google search for walker bags to see what others are selling for?
Old 07-29-2010, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

our local senior center makes these and sells them for $15 each...most people who need them are on very limited fixed incomes. could you make them using scraps and cut your costs some? it seems like you would need to charge $30 or more for them at your cost's and it may be hard to sell them for that/ unless of course you live in an area that can afford the higher cost. most items at craft fairs, boutiques ect that make and sell items for the elderly/handicapped population do much better if the cost stays under $20. (at least thats how it is around here)
Old 07-29-2010, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

the fact that they pay so much to live there does mean they do not have extra for items such as these...those places tend to take pretty much everything you have, leaving you with maybe enough for a hair appointment every couple weeks and maybe a birthday card for a grandchild. i worked for years in what was considered a very up-scale nice long term assisted living place. the residents may have seemed to outsiders to have unlimited funds but it really does not work that way. their money is set up to be able to sustain them for (as long as it takes) but they have very limited availability of any extra funds. it is assumed that their needs are being provided and they do not need extra cash. they 'choose' to give up alot in order to finish their time in a nice place.
so, please do not assume because it is a nice place that they will be able to afford what you are selling.
(maybe) some of the residents have family who visits who would pay a bit more but i have found that is not so common either...families tend to have the mind set...why pay so much for something like that, they will only use it for a short time then they will be gone..it is sad, but .... reality often is

Originally Posted by JanetM
Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts

I do have a potential market. There is a very large (private pay) assisted care/Alzheimer's care retirement community near my home. The residents pay $5000+ per month to live there, so they are not living with a very small budget.

I wish one of my LQS's had "older" fabric for sale. One of the LQS's I go to has some of the same fabric I bought 3 years ago, but she NEVER has anything on sale. :cry:
Old 07-29-2010, 04:14 AM

First, I love your design. I made one for my Mom, but used four ties on the sides to secure it to the walker. Yours has a much cleaner look to it.
Personally I would pay $25 for a walker bag. The bag will last for years, and one would pay that for a purse, which is what this bag serves for my Mom when she goes out.