Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needing tips on sewing flannel blocks together??? >

Needing tips on sewing flannel blocks together???

Needing tips on sewing flannel blocks together???

Old 12-30-2016, 10:39 AM

Default Needing tips on sewing flannel blocks together???

Hello all.... well, after several years (too many distractions!) I've finished blanket-stitching the snowflakes onto my sweet DIL's snowflake quilt. The pattern called for wool, but I used flannels... couldn't find enough wool fabric at the time...

Anyway.... the blocks are ready to stitch together and I'm wondering if there's anything I should know about stitching flannel together. My machine has dual feed and I'll definitely use that... what else should I know?

Thank you for all your suggestions! If I can figure out how to post a pic, I will...haven't figured that out though.... sigh....
Old 12-30-2016, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

The very first quilt I made was an around the world pattern with 3.5" blocks. I took a quilting class and that's the first one! Anyway, the flannel was not pre washed and I did use only a 1/4" seam. I had no clue what a walking foot was. I pinned each square and sewed halfway and then took it out and sewed down to meet the middle. I stitched in the ditch. The quilt is 13 years old and still in daily use and washed frequently and nothing has fallen apart. Since then I have made other flannel quilts and still only used 1/4" seams and not always a walking foot and they all seem to turn out fine. Of course if you have dual feed or a walking foot that seems to me it would be easier. Good luck and I hope you can figure out a picture so we can all see!!
Old 12-30-2016, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

I pre wash and then starch and press the flannel before using. It really helps in sewing flannel together when it's starched.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:54 AM

I second the starch and press! Flannel has a bit of stretch to it, so using a walking foot is very helpful. If you don't have one, use lots of pins!
Old 12-30-2016, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Depending on the thickness of the flannel you may decide to press the seams open instead of to the side. Just remember that this pressing method takes Stitch-in-the-ditch quilting off the table.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:36 PM

Starch the flannel. I find if I iron the blocks right sides together before I sew them, they don't wiggle as much. Clean your machine frequently -- flannel really fuzzes.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:07 PM

I think much depends on the quality of the flannel. The lesser grade flannels tend to shift and stretch more than higher quality flannels. But flannel in general will stretch more than the cotton we typically use in quilts. If you've not pre-washed your flannel, I would suggest using a smaller stitch length as well (unless you anticipate lots of un-sewing!). Otherwise, I've continued to use the traditional 1/4" seam with not other issues.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:58 PM

Thank goodness I DID prewash all the flannel in this quilt!! And I starched prior to the hand-embroidery on each block! I'm thinking I should apply a bit of starch prior to sewing each row...AND I will be pressing right sides together, QuiltnLady1! What a good idea! I really appreciate all your suggestions!! Thank you everyone!!
Old 01-01-2017, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

You can also use basting glue to hold the block edges together or my favorite Wonder Tape.