Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle gums up >

Needle gums up

Needle gums up

Old 07-24-2015, 05:12 AM

When you use Elmer's Washable School Glue, are you pressing the fabric to cause the glue to adhere? That could be your problem. Or perhaps you are using too much glue. Keep some rubbing alcohol and tissue or cotton ball handy to clean needle periodically.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:51 AM

I also use the elmers glue, and haven't had that problem. I water it down, about half water/halfglue. I heat the water in the microwave, then pour into the glue, makes it super easy to squeeze out! I usually let it dry overnight under a ceiling fan.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:57 AM

I stopped using the Dritz spray for the same reason, so now I buy the 505 big cans when I find a really good sale-usually online. I also discovered through some reading I was using too much spray. I spray much lighter now, never on the batting, and back it up with some well placed large safety pins so I don't overlook them when I'm in my "FMQ zone" :-)
Old 07-24-2015, 12:31 PM

I have ironed the glue once I sprayed it on, I didn't knows his was not recommended, why isn't it? What is wrong with ironing it dry? Should I spray it on the fabric or the batting?
Old 07-24-2015, 12:41 PM

I have a friend who uses just a dab of oil on the needle and wipes it off and she says she sews through the sticky Velcro. I haven't tried it. Don't want to.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:27 PM

I just do pin basting. No chemicals, no problems. Probably not the advise you were looking for Just my 2 cents.

I have sewn Velcro without any sticky problems. I think you do need to watch out for Velcro that is not meant to be sewn on.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by sewlo View Post
When I make my quilt sandwich I use the spray by dritz or sometimes elmers glue. My needle gums up with the dritz and then skips stitches is there any way to stop the glue from adhering to the needle? Sometimes I skip stitches with elmers but I am not sure if it has to do with the glue or not. This also happens with the glue on the back of Velcro. Any tips would be helpful.
I learned a long time ago not to use Velco w/sticky back only the sew on type. " Goo Gone" is a glue remover that comes in a pen style or bottle. I used to un-glue my embroidery hoop back when I was in to that. I rarely use spray on any more I find that quilt clips and safety pins work just as well w/out the toxic odors. I do have a can of 505 but found the June Taylor equally effective. A flat quilt looks nice when finished but after a gently wash it poofs up nicely ( cannot see my mistakes anymore )