Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting spray gums up machine, serviceman said.  What's the Elmer's method? >

Basting spray gums up machine, serviceman said. What's the Elmer's method?

Basting spray gums up machine, serviceman said. What's the Elmer's method?

Old 08-09-2015, 04:52 PM

Default Basting spray gums up machine, serviceman said. What's the Elmer's method?

Feline Fanatic suggested I do a search here to learn about this basting with glue idea. I have no luck with the search feature--I tried many times, many different ways. So, I apologize if this has been discussed recently. Maybe someone was active on one and can just paste the link?

I love basting spray! But the machine fixer guy suggested I not use it--at all. :-( I have no luck with pinning--even on small items like bags.

Help.
Thank you!
Old 08-09-2015, 07:06 PM

I don't agree with your service guy. I have spray basted quilts for several years and had no issues with my machines. Just spray lightly---not heavy or soak the fabric. I also let it dry overnight before starting to quilt on a sprayed sandwich. Like you, I didn't get good results with pinning--always got tucks. Never had a tuck since switching. Sorry I can't help on the glue method--never tried it. But many here swear by it--most say they dilute the Washable school glue with water 50/50, then either dribble or brush the glue on lightly. Would be cheaper, but seems to me like it would potentially be more gummy than spray.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

I think there might be a tutorial on Elmer glue basting in tutorials? I have not had much luck with it myself. I either use Hobbs 80/20 fusible batt or 505 spray basting. The 505 I buy at my Bernina LQS so I don't think they would sell it if it wasn't to be used with my Bernina.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:47 PM

Did he say that Elmer's was okay? I would kind of be surprised if somehow Elmer's didn't cause the same issues as 505, but I don't know.

I have an old Singer Genie 353 & just about anything will gum up the needle and bobbin (even Wonder Under, to a degree, and Roxanne's Glue Baste-It). I use the off-set safety pins & that works for me. Really, the straight pins with Pin Moors work better, but those things are so expensive that I stick with the special safety pins.

Nancy Zieman suggests using little 1/2" bits of Steam-a-Seam 2. You just stick it on a bunch of places & tack in place with the iron. I've used it on sewing projects before & it's super easy to use. If nothing else works, maybe you could try that. It's the second segment of this 6 minute video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSeWBOnbC90
Old 08-09-2015, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum View Post
Feline Fanatic suggested I do a search here to learn about this basting with glue idea. I have no luck with the search feature--I tried many times, many different ways.
Click on "Advanced Search".
In the keyword box type "Elmer's basting glue basting"
Leave the rest and click "Search now"

I did this and got 48 pages of results - a plethora of information!
Old 08-09-2015, 09:01 PM

I followed Carslo's tutorial but I use clamps all around just like when I
used to baste with thread. Also, I don't have too much patience to wait
for the glue to dry. So I use the iron to dry the glue. Make sure that
there is no thick ridges of glue. I just wipe with those thick spots with
my finger. Keep a damp towel nearby to wipe my fingers. I usually
dilute the glue with water (half/half). A little goes a long way.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:11 PM

I wonder if you sprayed with 505 too close to the sewing machine. This would leave a thin layer all over the machine. I spray outside under a canopy if possible that way spray does not end up on curtains tables etc. it becomes air borne and floats away.( found none on plants close too)

my my service engineer has never said mine is gummed up.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:49 PM
Power Poster

Please do look at all the "hits" on this board. I'm able to pull up a lot of them too. I love glue basting. Remember it takes the place of pin basting meaning you really only need to put it where you would pin. No need to paint on every surface. I don't have any hand,wrist, tendon, carpal tunnel issues so I turn the bottle upside down and let gravity and a little pressure release a thin stream which I drizzle in sort of an irregular grid. Then I smooth the backing or top over it and smooth and let dry. I'm not usually in a hurry so can let it dry overnight. I do this on a small table starting in the middle and then working out. When dry it has never gummed up or broken a needle and for me has always washed out. I've done about 10 this way. Good luck and report back to us!!!
Old 08-09-2015, 11:15 PM

Forgot to put the link for Carslo's tutorial. I think we've all adapted it to what works best for us.
I prefer to use the bottle like a pen and draw waves so I don't have one straight line of glue.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...e-t208057.html
Old 08-10-2015, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Click on "Advanced Search".
In the keyword box type "Elmer's basting glue basting"
Leave the rest and click "Search now"

I did this and got 48 pages of results - a plethora of information!
I typed "Elmer's glue, basting" and got nothing" in advanced. Thanks for the tip--I'll try your words. Seems like it should work with both!