Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle position >

Needle position

Needle position

Old 11-20-2023, 06:52 AM

Default Needle position

I have several machines and the flat side of the needle goes toward the back. I have a machine I just picked up without a manual - I'm changing the needle. Are there different positions for different machines?
Old 11-20-2023, 07:06 AM

Yes, my Pfaffs flat side goes to the back but on my Juki the flat side goes to the right. You can Google your machine make and model and search for manual. I found one for my 1955 Bentwood Singer sometimes they are free.
Old 11-20-2023, 07:15 AM

As Three Dog Night suggested, I would look for a manual. There are differences, and especially I think between drop down bobbins as opposed to the side loaders, but also as proprietary differences just because...

I think all the machines I've come across have a curved and a flat side in the needle holder. Might be hard to look (maybe a little mirror?) but I can feel the needle slip into the space correctly, especially as you tighten it down.

If the machine is new enough to have a threading assist or automatic threader, that can give an additional clue.
Old 11-20-2023, 08:58 AM

some companies have manuals for the old machines online that you can download.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

In my machines that use a flat-sided needle, it would be close to impossible to insert the needle the wrong way. And if somehow it happened, the machine wouldn't be able to sew. So rather than search for a manual, I would just experiment until I got it right.
Old 11-20-2023, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
In my machines that use a flat-sided needle, it would be close to impossible to insert the needle the wrong way. And if somehow it happened, the machine wouldn't be able to sew. So rather than search for a manual, I would just experiment until I got it right.
I agree. I tried to put the needle in the wrong way on my Juki and it wouldn't fit. Duh. Turned it around and it slipped right in.
Old 11-21-2023, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

I thought the flat side of the needle shank went towards the needle screw. That way the screw would have the flat side to tighten into. Make sense?
Old 11-21-2023, 04:54 PM

Get a mirror and look. Probably the easiest way to figure that out.
Old 11-21-2023, 05:38 PM

I am not familiar with modern machines, but I think that most needle screws are on the right side. I have printed out some diagrams for which direction the flat goes, but forgot about it when I went to insert the needle on my Singer 15-30. I used a mirror. Actually, it was a good thing as I didn't have the 15-30 listed and other 15 models the flat goes the other direction. Sometimes you can tell by where the last thread guide is located. Looking again at this site, you may be able to tell by where the slot for the needle is located above the needle clamp as indicated on http://www.sew2go.com/needleset.htm Granted those are for Singer sewing machines, but maybe it would be the same for your machine. By the way, what is the machine????
Old 11-21-2023, 05:51 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
I have several machines and the flat side of the needle goes toward the back. I have a machine I just picked up without a manual - I'm changing the needle. Are there different positions for different machines?
Yes - it depends on the machine. Without knowing what this machine is, there's no way for someone to suggest how the needle should be oriented.