Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle Size? >

Needle Size?

Needle Size?

Old 03-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

I have found that Sears Kenmore machine needles are very good, not less expensive but easier for me to buy local when I need a package instead of driving an hour. I usually buy different size Organ sewing machine needles online. It takes a lot of practice to find the right size needle for different thread that your machine likes. I keep a chart so I'll know what works for me. The chart saves me a ton of time.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Banned

I use the machine quilt thread I buy at Walmart on a spool. I believe its COATS & CLARK.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Size 60/8 needle is the best size I've found for #60 thread and above. The thin thread doesn't shred with this size needle. Embroidery sewing machine needles are made to handle fast speed so they are very good for machine quilting.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

I use Sewer's Aid on all my thread. A drop on the top of the spool makes a big difference. I've been using it for years and the sewing repairman said he can't tell I use it at all, no harm to any of my machines, even the computerized one. And I started using the Bobbin Genies. I have not had any bird nests at all since I started using one in my bobbin case.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

Hi Bev,

The next time you are in a fabric store ask the salesperson if there is a free needle size gauge available from the thread manufactorer. I have one from metzler that was on the rack in the store.

As you can see there is no answer to what each person believes is the best results for them individually. I will say though, that if you get into piecing something really intricate that a smaller thread and needle works better because that scant quarter inch seam is hard to get if you are defeating yourself with big honkin' thread and needle.

One more bee in your bonnet ,ok? My repairman had a fit that I was using the coats and clark thread. He said that I may be paying less for the thread, but, I will pay much more dearly when I have to have my machine serviced more often because of the lint and trouble it causes.

Hugs ....
Old 03-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

Connecting Threads has thread my machine likes very much and it's less expensive then Coats and Clark. I use Coats and Clark BOBBIN thread on the mini cone for a lot of my piecing , NOT the one on the spool that says bobbin and basting thread. (It's good basting thread as it breaks easy)
Old 03-28-2009, 10:49 AM

I rarely use C & C thread any more, but when I was making... I don't remember, maybe a gift bag, I dropped a spool of it that I had in. Finished the project, started working on something else and wondered why the heck I was suddenly seeing so much lint pile up around my foot, needle and bobbin area. That convinced me that it's not the thread that I want to use.

Needles I usually use a 12/80. I bought a box of 100 Schmetz needles at J's w/ a coupon a while back. so will have them for a loonggg time! I've never had a problem with that size. I do have denim ones and metal ones for those specific threads.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
Hi Bev,

The next time you are in a fabric store ask the salesperson if there is a free needle size gauge available from the thread manufactorer. I have one from metzler that was on the rack in the store.

As you can see there is no answer to what each person believes is the best results for them individually. I will say though, that if you get into piecing something really intricate that a smaller thread and needle works better because that scant quarter inch seam is hard to get if you are defeating yourself with big honkin' thread and needle.

One more bee in your bonnet ,ok? My repairman had a fit that I was using the coats and clark thread. He said that I may be paying less for the thread, but, I will pay much more dearly when I have to have my machine serviced more often because of the lint and trouble it causes.

Hugs ....
Really????? Wow! I've used it for years and never had trouble.