Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle Turn Applique Quilts >

Needle Turn Applique Quilts

Needle Turn Applique Quilts

Old 05-18-2011, 08:47 AM

Lori S....I have been doing needle turn applique for about 15 years when making Hawaiian Style quilts. My avatar was all done by hand with needle turn applique and quilting. It is a wall hanging 45 in by 45 in. The picture was taken at the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum in Golden, CO and was displayed for 3 months along with other Hawaiian style Quilts. The quilt name is "Let there be light". Kelela
Old 05-18-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Charming
Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
It's an instant gratification kind of society it seems. Personally, I prefer hand applique over that fusible junk.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: That "fusible junk" is the only thing i use for my applique and i am extremely happy with it
It's not the only thing I use but I made an applique today with the 'junk' :P and I'm very happy with it.
I'm doing needle turn also.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:48 AM

I love to do needle turn applique and am using it on the Affairs of the Heart quilt, as well as several small art quilts. It is a method I can use while watching tv with my husband or to pack and take along.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:18 AM

I just learned to do needle turn applique fairly recently (the right way). I have a close friend who is an expert and taught a class. I love it - it is very soothing and is beautiful. NO I don't think it is a dying art - I think alot of people just prefer to do things by machine and not by hand.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:07 AM

I love love love needle turn applique! I always have! I have been doing applique for 10 or more years. The more I do the better I get. I teach it as well. My last student needed to perfect her skills. She sees improvement as do I. I like it because I can sit and watch TV and work on it. I use applique needles size 10 or 11 Roxane's. I use freezer paper on top and I use 100wt silk. I take really small stitches in the fold of the applique pieces. I am happy with my results. I truely love the art and hope it stays alive for a very long time. Luann
Old 05-18-2011, 10:09 AM

I do it and have done a little machine applique. But, I prefer the look of needleturn. Using 100 wt silk thread now and my stitches don't show. But those inside curves are still buggers for me.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by boohoofish
I do it and have done a little machine applique. But, I prefer the look of needleturn. Using 100 wt silk thread now and my stitches don't show. But those inside curves are still buggers for me.
I have been doing it for a little while now and oh those points?? I use sulky sticky o the top and cut 1/4 or 1/8" around and needle turn around it.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:14 AM

I have done lots of needle turn,but have decided that when you get to my age time is running out, and by doing it by machine I can get a lot more things done.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:37 AM

Well, I've done a "little" needleturn, in my first quilt class a few years ago. I want to do that very thing though on some other projects. It is sort of like hand quilting...I thought it was dying out too and the machine quilters whizz right past us, if we're doing it by hand, but it is a little different kind of peacefulness you get in that. A lady in our quilt group does all kinds of this applique with a teeny-tiny needle and it is sooooo beautiful. Let's LEARN, guess we can find some you tube videos on this..
Old 05-18-2011, 10:48 AM

I agree, the needleturn is so relaxing and if you make a mistake, so much eaiser to take out? I have a few projects going right now, one is a tisket, a tasket.