Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle Turn Applique Quilts >

Needle Turn Applique Quilts

Needle Turn Applique Quilts

Old 05-18-2011, 01:07 PM

My avatar is a needle turn applique quilt that I have been working on for >5yrs. I love the way it looks (even though I'm far from "good" at this technique) but it does take time! :!: I figure at the rate I'm working it'll take another 2 yrs. Of course I'm working on about 10 other things in the meanwhile!
Old 05-18-2011, 01:14 PM

I do needleturn applique. Currently the one I'm working on, I started mid Nov, doing hand quilting, about half way with that. This is my second needleturn. The first one was a christmas bom. It traveled from Ca to Co, back to Ca and now is living in Co. That took a year and half
Old 05-18-2011, 01:15 PM

I am a purist, I think. For me personally, I like to piece and quilt by hand. I come from a long line of quilters and that is how I learned. Very seldom even use my machine. That being said, I don't accomplish many quilts in a year. You'll be lucky to see my work anytime soon. But I enjoy it immensely and for me it is very peaceful. But I enjoy ALL of the work that I see here; and maybe someday I will be converted.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DebbyT
Originally Posted by DawnMarie
I love needle turn applique. I just don't have the time or patience to do it. Plus, my carpal tunnel acts up so much that it's uncomfortable to do. :(
I started a Baltimore last month using needle turn and my hand is feeling quite stiff, numb and painfull. I havn't figured if it is the gardening or the sewing. -- I find my stitches are more of a blind stitch than needle turn. With this project I used the freezer paper, starch and iron method.
DebbyT - I had carpal tunnel on my left hand (I'm right handed - so it was my under the quilt hand) over 20 years ago also, ended up having to have surgery. Was an out-patient type & sure they have even more modern techniques now. But I also started using "Handeze Therapeutic Craft Gloves" (fingerless gloves) to try to help prevent a re-occurance & they seem to to work good.
Here is a link to some, but I also see they are listed on JoAnns site.
http://www.quiltersreview.com/articl.../010813_a.asp.
They might help to ease the problem.

There are probably even newer types out there now.

Have a blessed day :lol:
Old 05-18-2011, 01:44 PM

I do it and love it..just a bit slow but well worth it. :thumbup:
Old 05-18-2011, 02:00 PM

I'm a new quilter, but I do plan to do some needle turn applique at some point. I look forward to it.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Afton
I want to, I do all my piecing and quilting by hand, but I can't get a hang of the technique. I think I'm missing something, I cant seem to turn under a small enough section, so if I try it looks sloppy.
I have tried MANY methods of needle turn applique through the years and felt exactly like you. Then I took a class in "Back Basting Needle Turn Applique". Using this method, I have gotten the hang of it and my work turns out looking nice! I even really enjoy it now! There are online tutorials on this method and some quilt shops teach classes for it.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:09 PM

I took a needle turn applique class over this past winter and was totally frustrated in the class - things in general did not go right. I didn't have the right thread or the right needle - it was tough.

However, I really didn't want to give up b/c I loved the look and really want to do a tile quilt or several - esp in honor of my father who was a tile man. So, I bought the right tools and a selection of YLI silks, a bobbin holder of Super Bobs, and their Frosting's collections of cotton bobs to try and it's going much better. I can't decided which threads I like best yet, so I'm still trying them all out. I do think I like the black clover needle best though. I bought a selection of needles to try those out as well.

I love to sit in front of the TV and be able to do it. I now have way too many books I want on applique and also want to branch out into doing some art type quilts. I have not had a chance to try out other applique techniques yet, but would like to.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by theifner
I love it where do you get the patter?
this is on the board we are doing Affairs of the Heart as a block of the week . Having funwith this
Old 05-18-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I just love the results of needle turn Applique, but it seems like there are less, and less people doing it.
I hate to ask but is this part of the quilting art dying out?
How many are still out there doing this amazing part of the quilting art?
How long before you had confidence in your skills?
I love needle turn applique. I am doing a quilt pattern now that is needle turn, but instead of making a quilt I am going to use it as a shower curtain. I will post a picture when done but it will be a while!