Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
NEEDS OPINION ON QUILT BINDER >

NEEDS OPINION ON QUILT BINDER

NEEDS OPINION ON QUILT BINDER

Old 12-01-2010, 07:03 PM

i have bought a simplicity quilt binder and it does not do a wide enough strip and then i ordered a wider tube off the internet got it today and tried it and the only thing it does is bolds it and does not turn the raw edges under and the binder is pricey and thinking about taking it back could i have anyone's opinion please thanks dorothy from tenn
Old 12-01-2010, 07:09 PM

The one I use is a bias tape maker that it attached to my machine. It takes a 2 inch wide bias strip that I order on rolls in many different colors. It takes me about 10 minutes to bind a king size quilt. The only thing is the corners have to be rounded to go all the way around. It is also attached to a commercial sewing machine so it sews fast.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

The rotary cutter has not received very many good reviews here on the board. :D:D:D
Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Power Poster

Most quilt binders do not do a very good job.

Bernina used to make one that could take the wide strips for binding quilts, but they discontinued it quite a few years ago because so many people had problems with it. (I don't know about the new Bernina's; mine is over 10 years old!) The only Bernina binder available for my machine is designed to bind clothing (armholes on children's garments, for example, using narrow bias strips).

I bought a Martelli binder at a quilt show. Very difficult to use, so I gave up trying.

My bet is it is not user error with the binders you have purchased; more likely is that they just do not work very well for quilts.

Hmmmm.... Just re-read your post and maybe we are not talking about the same thing. I am talking about binder attachments to a sewing machine.

If you are talking about the Simplicity machine that folds already-cut strips, I have heard good things about it; however, you must purchase the correct size tip for quilting. I think that is an additional purchase.

The Simplicity strip cutter has gotten bad reviews.

Could you post a link to the thing so we can see exactly what you purchased?
Old 12-01-2010, 09:05 PM

For the money they are asking, I told my DH to forget it as a Christmas gift. I make my own bindings and I don't think it would ever pay for itself.