Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It Never Fails >

It Never Fails

It Never Fails

Old 10-04-2012, 05:06 PM

Glad it is better today! I did the same thing about 6 months ago and I couldn't get the needle out of my nail for a few seconds.....seemed longer at the time!!!! I had to have a tetnus booster too. My arm was more sore from the shot than my finger from the needle.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:19 PM

Ps 150..I think we should all print this thread , and hang above our machines to peruse once in awhile, just to keep us reminded of all the pitfalls of this great sewing hobby/career...we can get careless..although that does not seem the case with your injuiry...When a member of QB took pictures of a sliced finger with rotary blade, I immediatly ordered the Gypsy for my ruler.. I shudder at the thought of a needle thru my finger, although I have read the same accident has been happening for years.. I wish all the best for your healing..I'm sure you will come out better for it.. when it becomes a memory...
Old 10-04-2012, 05:28 PM

My doctor's nurse is calling me in the morning to see about a tetanus booster. The receptionist looked in my file and couldn't even find when my last tetanus shot was. :/ So, I'll most likely be heading for a shot in the morning.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:48 PM

BIG OUCH! So sorry for you. Hang in there.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:32 PM

Been there done that (my sister actually did it to my finger while I was helping her) didn't get the T-shirt. I don't believe lint can start your machine. I believe it has a short in it somewhere. I had a FW that was doing this and there was an issue with the foot pedal. I think I would call another dealer and ask them. I think there would be a better chance of ghosts starting your machine than lint. What if it started while you were not home and burnt the motor up or started a fire. I am so sorry about your finger...I know it hurt. Mine was not bad until I got the needle out then it was Owwwwwwww. All my sister could say was lesson over, that was my last needle.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by 1screech View Post
Been there done that (my sister actually did it to my finger while I was helping her) didn't get the T-shirt. I don't believe lint can start your machine. I believe it has a short in it somewhere. I had a FW that was doing this and there was an issue with the foot pedal. I think I would call another dealer and ask them. I think there would be a better chance of ghosts starting your machine than lint. What if it started while you were not home and burnt the motor up or started a fire. I am so sorry about your finger...I know it hurt. Mine was not bad until I got the needle out then it was Owwwwwwww. All my sister could say was lesson over, that was my last needle.
I have a huge fire fear, so all of my machines are plugged into surge protectors that are shut off each time. I'm a bit of a freak about it. I've spoken to two dealers who feel that the lint may have been crowding the wires that operate the needle up/down button. I've switched out my foot pedal twice and the machine itself has been sent to the factory to be examined. This isn't the first time it's happened. :/ It's just the first time it happened when I wasn't already sewing. Usually, when I take my foot off of the pedal, the machine keeps sewing and I have to turn off the machine to get it to stop. Then, I clean out the base of my machine and it stops doing it. Weird, huh?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:05 PM

OOOwwiee OOOwwiee so sorry
Old 10-05-2012, 04:30 AM

OW! You have my sympathy as I once got a SM needle stuck in my fingernail. That hurt enough...can't imagine how you feel with it going all the way through. OWWWWW! Mend quickly and well.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:06 AM

I've been very, very, very careful when sewing on the machine. I've known too many who have done just what Ps150 did...and have used caution like crazy! I'm sorry you hurt yourself...hope you heal quickly!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:10 AM

You don't mention what kind of sewing machine you have, but I have a Kenmore and it went thru a period of sewing on it's own, too. I feel this is a safety issue and you should report it to the consumer safety commission. Especially since you were injured by this. Mine seems to have been caused by a build up of lint in the foot control pedal, but regardless of the cause, this is dangerous and should be reported!