Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Never Make Fun!!

Never Make Fun!!

My cousin texted my a picture of her index figure all wrapped up and the caption " no stitches". I , ever sympathic texted back " Rotary cutter? LOL" It was, well karma keeps score... this morning I was embroidering a really different design, and in my excitement forgot about waiting til the machine stops BEFORE you try to thread it and stitched my index finger! I'm not sending her a text!

Iv' done it to and so have others on this board. I think it's a right of passage to stitch your finger and you aren't a serious sewer until you do.

Speaking of Rotary Cutters.....since I'm a new quilter, I have a question..... I could not believe that my blade became dull after cutting approximately 35 strips. Is this normal? Should I invest in a sharpener? I sure did not expect the blade to do this so soon.

Blog Entries
    Well, it isn't normal for me. I don't know what the others say. Maybe your fabric had some kind of chemical in it. I'll be anxious to hear what others have to say. I have cut tons of fabric on mine. They're still pretty good.

Don't try LA'ing and looking at the karma thing...I can testify to the "fun" in that one....and that Gammill just keeps on keepin' on!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

At least I'm not alone. I felt like a real dummy, though...stitching your own finger. I can just hear myself saying "It was attached to you, right" if one of my kids had done it. LOL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tjk829 View Post
    My cousin texted my a picture of her index figure all wrapped up and the caption " no stitches". I , ever sympathic texted back " Rotary cutter? LOL" It was, well karma keeps score... this morning I was embroidering a really different design, and in my excitement forgot about waiting til the machine stops BEFORE you try to thread it and stitched my index finger! I'm not sending her a text!
    I've got a lot of respect for someone that tries to thread a needle while it's still movin' on the machine!

Golly good try there...

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Pokeygirl,
    35 strips to a dull blade is not normal.
    Here are some questions:
    1. What mat are you using under it? Certain mats are much harder on blades than others.
    2. What brand of blade are you using? Brands other than Olfa often can be duller or dull more easily.
    3. Have you ever cut paper/cardboard with this particular blade? Sure way to dull any cutting implement.
    4. Is there a possibility someone has used your blade without your knowledge? Fie on them! make them pay up with a new pack of Olfa blades!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Been there, done that with my "pointer".....was not fun, needle broke into 4 pieces, leaving 3 in my finger, infection, and then an office visit to dr. to get 1/4" piece cut out.....anyway, I feel your pain.....hope you have a better day!

Ouch, Karma is a bite, I hope you heal soonest.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Make sure you don't have 2 blades on your cutter. It chews up fabric and I thought I was going to go crazy, until I found the problem.

THANKYOU!!You just made me feel so much better!!! I just did two fingers. rotary cutter then ran over the next finger with sewing machine. I stopped and will be going to bed soon. I think it MIGHT be safer for me to read for awhile. I hate days like this.
    don't stop!just keep trying and something usable will turn out!!

Oh painful. Take care.

Blog Entries
    It is not the sewing machine that is my problem. I hand sew and the number of times I go to move the fabric on s after hand stitching a inches only to find my fingers on the bottom hand also joined to it. I also do it with quilting stitch especially if I rock. I tried those sticky pads and sewed those onto the back.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by pokeygirl View Post
    Speaking of Rotary Cutters.....since I'm a new quilter, I have a question..... I could not believe that my blade became dull after cutting approximately 35 strips. Is this normal? Should I invest in a sharpener? I sure did not expect the blade to do this so soon.
    If you post this as a new thread you'll get more replies.

Are you hitting the edge of the ruler as you cut? that is a problem I have to watch out for.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sending her a text!
    fair is fair.
    send a photo.
    karma is watching. LOL LOL LOL
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

I also have an eddres you can use if you need to contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community: [email protected]

Be grateful you are not chair covering... apparently hitting yourself three times with a staple gun is the sign of the true professional! My sister wimped after the first hit!

Oh boy, careful!! So sorry!!

Blog Entries
    HHHHMMMMMMM I was vaccinated by a sewing machine needle at an early age - prevents all sorts of trouble - at least I was busy with a sewing machine and not into something else... it still hurts to think about it though.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    Been there done that. Only a small hole and no broken needle, just bent.

I am sincerely hoping to stay a non-serious sewer then!! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
    Iv' done it to and so have others on this board. I think it's a right of passage to stitch your finger and you aren't a serious sewer until you do.

Blog Entries
    It's not if but when that an accident will happen with a rotary cutter. Always use a safety tool when cutting.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Yikes!!! My fingers are hurting in sympathy for all of you!!! (Knocking on wood!!) I have been extremely lucky and not sewn my finger (yet!). I have cut myself several times with my rotary cutter, though. I seem to always cut the back or side of my hand somehow. The last time if felt like it just barely touched my hand, but it bled quite a bit and became quite sore.
    Sherri

not only have I done the sewing my finger thing. I was about 14 when I did that. Last fall I knocked the rotary cutter off the table and it landed straight down in the top of my foot and wouldn't you know, I hadn't closed the blade. I had 3 butterfly bandaids so we stuck them on and I didn't go to the doctor but man do those hurt a few days.

I am so laughing at you. I'll bet you text her very soon. That's too good not to share. Don't you feel dumb though?
    I not only have sliced off the end of my L index finger, I've also run the needle through my finger. Hazards of the trade I think.
    Pat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast