Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Never Make Fun!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/never-make-fun-t212894.html)

tjk829 02-03-2013 02:51 PM

Never Make Fun!!

My cousin texted my a picture of her index figure all wrapped up and the caption " no stitches". I , ever sympathic texted back " Rotary cutter? LOL" It was, well karma keeps score... this morning I was embroidering a really different design, and in my excitement forgot about waiting til the machine stops BEFORE you try to thread it and stitched my index finger! I'm not sending her a text!:o

Zyngawf 02-03-2013 02:53 PM

Iv' done it to and so have others on this board. I think it's a right of passage to stitch your finger and you aren't a serious sewer until you do.

pokeygirl 02-03-2013 02:58 PM

Speaking of Rotary Cutters.....since I'm a new quilter, I have a question..... I could not believe that my blade became dull after cutting approximately 35 strips. Is this normal? Should I invest in a sharpener? I sure did not expect the blade to do this so soon.

barny 02-03-2013 03:05 PM

Well, it isn't normal for me. I don't know what the others say. Maybe your fabric had some kind of chemical in it. I'll be anxious to hear what others have to say. I have cut tons of fabric on mine. They're still pretty good.

momto5 02-03-2013 03:05 PM

Don't try LA'ing and looking at the karma thing...I can testify to the "fun" in that one....and that Gammill just keeps on keepin' on! :)

tjk829 02-03-2013 03:35 PM

At least I'm not alone. I felt like a real dummy, though...stitching your own finger. I can just hear myself saying "It was attached to you, right" if one of my kids had done it. LOL

RipStitcher 02-03-2013 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by tjk829 (Post 5835937)
My cousin texted my a picture of her index figure all wrapped up and the caption " no stitches". I , ever sympathic texted back " Rotary cutter? LOL" It was, well karma keeps score... this morning I was embroidering a really different design, and in my excitement forgot about waiting til the machine stops BEFORE you try to thread it and stitched my index finger! I'm not sending her a text!:o

I've got a lot of respect for someone that tries to thread a needle while it's still movin' on the machine!

Golly good try there... :D

Jan in VA 02-03-2013 03:49 PM

Pokeygirl,
35 strips to a dull blade is not normal.
Here are some questions:
1. What mat are you using under it? Certain mats are much harder on blades than others.
2. What brand of blade are you using? Brands other than Olfa often can be duller or dull more easily.
3. Have you ever cut paper/cardboard with this particular blade? Sure way to dull any cutting implement.
4. Is there a possibility someone has used your blade without your knowledge? Fie on them!:mad: make them pay up with a new pack of Olfa blades!

Jan in VA

Buckeye Rose 02-03-2013 05:02 PM

Been there, done that with my "pointer".....was not fun, needle broke into 4 pieces, leaving 3 in my finger, infection, and then an office visit to dr. to get 1/4" piece cut out.....anyway, I feel your pain.....hope you have a better day!

valleyquiltermo 02-03-2013 05:07 PM

Ouch, Karma is a bite, I hope you heal soonest.