Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Never Make Fun!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/never-make-fun-t212894.html)

Happy Tails 02-05-2013 04:20 AM

I am sincerely hoping to stay a non-serious sewer then!! lol

Originally Posted by Zyngawf (Post 5835943)
Iv' done it to and so have others on this board. I think it's a right of passage to stitch your finger and you aren't a serious sewer until you do.

BellaBoo 02-05-2013 06:43 AM

It's not if but when that an accident will happen with a rotary cutter. Always use a safety tool when cutting.

SherriB 02-05-2013 06:45 AM

Yikes!!! My fingers are hurting in sympathy for all of you!!! (Knocking on wood!!) I have been extremely lucky and not sewn my finger (yet!). I have cut myself several times with my rotary cutter, though. I seem to always cut the back or side of my hand somehow. The last time if felt like it just barely touched my hand, but it bled quite a bit and became quite sore.

barrelracer86 02-05-2013 07:30 AM

not only have I done the sewing my finger thing. I was about 14 when I did that. Last fall I knocked the rotary cutter off the table and it landed straight down in the top of my foot and wouldn't you know, I hadn't closed the blade. I had 3 butterfly bandaids so we stuck them on and I didn't go to the doctor but man do those hurt a few days.

Pat G 02-05-2013 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by tjk829 (Post 5835937)
My cousin texted my a picture of her index figure all wrapped up and the caption " no stitches". I , ever sympathic texted back " Rotary cutter? LOL" It was, well karma keeps score... this morning I was embroidering a really different design, and in my excitement forgot about waiting til the machine stops BEFORE you try to thread it and stitched my index finger! I'm not sending her a text!:o

I am so laughing at you. I'll bet you text her very soon. That's too good not to share. Don't you feel dumb though?
I not only have sliced off the end of my L index finger, I've also run the needle through my finger. Hazards of the trade I think.
Pat

quilter68 02-05-2013 11:04 AM

Seven stitches to the inch on the index finger. Oh well!

MargeD 02-05-2013 12:01 PM

Never make fun

I can so relate - I've tried sewing a finger or two and even my thumb - try that one, so you are not alone, could we call ourselves the "pricked finger club"? LOL It happens to all of us at one time or another.

miriam 02-05-2013 12:04 PM

DH insisted that my boys learn to sew before they operated a power saw - a needle prick is nothing...

gabeway 02-05-2013 12:07 PM

Ouch! Pain comes with quilting. On the cathedral window I am working on have rammed my needle through the material into the quick of the fingernail as well as under the nail! Live and learn.

Maggieloe 02-05-2013 03:24 PM

I must be depraved. I read every post in this thread, in increasing pain as I did it. Never done the needle thing so far, but pretty much everything else including a V shaped cut on a finger with scissors - I was in a hurry. I think we all need a glass of wine at this point.