Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Never mind quilting this morning I Must.. >

Never mind quilting this morning I Must..

Never mind quilting this morning I Must..

Old 07-22-2019, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I keep a large basket on my cutting table. I put all tools, rulers, and notions in there after I use them. I keep two bins under my cutting table. One I drop scrap pieces in as I cut to be culled for the bigger pieces later. The other I put the fabric I was cutting from in to be put up later. This keeps my cutting area neat and I know where everything is during a big cutting session. I keep a basket on my ironing station too. I seem to take scissors and such over to it a lot. My cut pieces I will sew are clipped together and then put in project baskets or boxes to take to machine or saved for later. My sewing friends are always saying how neat my sewing room looks but all it takes is a system and actually using the system. Without some order I get frustrated in all the clutter.
thanks for sharing these tips, I need to implement something similar to keep my clutter in check.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

​I have one of the plastic pull out drawer units that I put all the fabrics and pieces of each project in. I can go back to a project and everything I need is there and I clean it out about every 6 months and return the fabric to my stash if I am sure I am done with it.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:18 AM

I wish I could offer a lot of practical advice, but that would mean I'd have to do it myself!

Because I'm still working on getting my sewing room to be a better place for me and because I'm trying to get some extra steps in each day, I've moved my cutting area to my dining room table. That helps because I try to keep everything where I can just pick up the cutting mat and move it. But it is absolutely amazing how many rulers and other accoutrements add up, measuring tape, pins and safety pins and on and on...

I keep my fabric to the left on the back of a chair. I sit in the center. On the right is another chair, on the seat is my box I put my little scraps in, I sent those to a crumb quilter (you may have a designation of your own scrap box). The strips I'm keeping for my cutting go on the back of the chair, along with any 6.5" strips I cut for my own scrap box (I no longer save anything smaller than 6.5").

I make a project box for each project. Sometimes that is a washtub from the dollar store, sometimes it is a cardboard box. Sort of depends on the size of the project and the finished block size. When I start cutting subunits, they get counted and into the box they go. Again the scraps go into the box for the crumb quilter. Typically the project box is on top of the crumb box so the crumbs stay on the cutting board until subunits are completed.

When the large pieces of fabric are cut down into strips, they go back into the sewing room. I keep them together (typically in an open washtub so I can see them) until my project is ended so in case I need to go back they are handy, after that they go into their designated boxes.

Or at least that is how it is supposed to work...

Edit/PS: It helps to keep a trashcan handy for the little bits of fluff and trim. I deliberately don't so I get up and walk another 10 feet to the trashcan every few trims.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:28 AM

I feel your pain! I kept losing my rulers under stuff. Then I got those ruler racks (finished piece of board with slots in it). Those are right at the end of my worktable, so when I finish cutting and head to iron or sew, I slip the ruler back in it's slot. And I tend to stack my fabrics-in-use for the current quilt at the other end of the table. When the quilt I'm working on is all done, the fabrics get sorted, and put away. If I move on to another quilt without finishing the current one, then all the pieces get put into a see-through Art bin until I'm ready to pull it out again.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-22-2019 at 12:39 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-22-2019, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

I assign a day of the week to clean and straighten up. Friday to get ready for the weekend. I dust and straighten and then vacuum to get ready for the next weeks projects. That way, I don't let it get overwhelming. I am too old to spend my time feeling like it is too much for me to do. My nerves won't take that and I refuse to feel like a slob.

Between my home, garden and other duties, it is all I can do to keep up sometimes. Know what I mean?

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 07-22-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I keep a large basket on my cutting table. I put all tools, rulers, and notions in there after I use them. I keep two bins under my cutting table. One I drop scrap pieces in as I cut to be culled for the bigger pieces later. The other I put the fabric I was cutting from in to be put up later. This keeps my cutting area neat and I know where everything is during a big cutting session. I keep a basket on my ironing station too. I seem to take scissors and such over to it a lot. My cut pieces I will sew are clipped together and then put in project baskets or boxes to take to machine or saved for later. My sewing friends are always saying how neat my sewing room looks but all it takes is a system and actually using the system. Without some order I get frustrated in all the clutter.
This sounds like a system I should adopt. My room is a cluttered mess, too, just like juliasb"s. Thanks for sharing this method.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:08 AM

My cutting table has cabinets below it and is closed in. Looks like a kitchen counter space. (that was the plan). The counter top was designed for my cutting area. All the cupboard space is filled with quilting supplies and paper crafting supplies, my other love, and fabrics. Fabric, fabric and more fabrics. If I put my mind to it I could probably make more quilting space in some of the lower cabinets. The only spot that is not full of sewing/quilting supplies is where my computer station is located and it frequently gets cluttered with seam rippers, thread pins, needles and other such things.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

I clear my cutting table each time I need to cut more fabrics for another quilt. My counter top is a bit more messy. I do clear it off but, it ends messy again. I guess I need to do it more often.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
I have it a bit less that cleared right now but have to rest. I find myself running in circles! I am now trying to move things to the side that I cleared and that is not good! All Iwantto do is to be able to do some cutting!
When I worked in the corporate world , at one of their many meetings ,they said when cleaning your desktop , don't touch the same piece of paper twice . In other words , don't pick it up , ponder , and lay it back down thinking I'll deal with that later . Once you have it in your hand ,deal with it .
Old 07-23-2019, 03:11 AM

I am getting a new left knee on Thursday, so I will spend most of the morning clearing out a path to my sewing machine. I won't be able to drive for six weeks, but the joint replacement coordinator gave me permission to sew as long as I am careful not to bump my knee on the sewing machine desk. I have almost made a path wide enough, but I need to move some pillow forms out of the way and put a machine in a travel case then into the closet. I've already moved the bin holding the stabilizers and fusibles, but I Have to do something with a smaller machine that is blocking the path to another closet. I will definitely have a clean, neat sewing room when I am finished. Of course, I probably won't be able to find much "neat" stuff when I need it the most. Sigh!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-23-2019 at 03:44 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps