Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The new Bernina 770QE redone in 2015. >

The new Bernina 770QE redone in 2015.

The new Bernina 770QE redone in 2015.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:42 PM

Default The new Bernina 770QE redone in 2015.

Now that they have worked out all the bugs on the Bernina 770QE model, I am seriously considering getting it. It comes with BSR (stitch regulator), dual feed system (similar to pfaff) and has a 10" harp space. I currently have an Janome 8900 Horizon and like it, especially with the 11" harp space and the Janome flatbed desk made for the 8900. I ended up spending $2.5K for the Horizon and felt I got a good price as there was no sales tax involved. However, for the MSRP of $5,999 for the 770QE, is it worth the price? I know there are a lot of other brands out there, but in order to get high end features and a decent harp space; the price isn't that much less. For example, the BabyLock Aria goes for around $3, 500 but it has all the feature I want and comes with an 11.25 harp space. With the custom $700 flatbed desk (from Sew EZI) and the CA sales tax of 10%, I am looking at $5K out the door price. Does any one have any suggestions on good machine that has an electronic presser foot, at least a 10" harp space or more, comes with a good dual feed system?

Berninas - are they that good and worth every cent, or are they a bit overrated, priced a bit too high and require constant servicing and software upgrades? I have had my Janome 8900 Horizon for almost year and not one problem or service issue. I even took the panels off and oiled it myself without having to take it in for servicing (saved approx $200).
Old 05-01-2016, 09:39 PM

Sounds like you're happy with your Janome. Does the Bernina have features you "can't live without?" (That's an LOL question.) I'd keep my current machine and put that money towards a lomgarm or sit down machine. Or buy a lot of fabric or treat myself to a quilting cruise.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:33 PM
Power Poster

I tend to agree with qRf. I don't see that you would be getting $5,000 of value more than what you already have.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:08 PM

Welcome to the board

I too was seriously considering a Bernina, mainly for the BSR. However, when I tried it, I hated it - I found the BSR sluggish and slow. I found I could actually quilt better without it, much to my amazement, lol. I didn't think it was worth paying that amount of money for a feature I may not even use.

Another thing that put me off was that you still needed a walking foot, something I'd never needed with my Pfaff QE 4.0. - one of the main resaons I bought it. Although the dual feed is similar, they're not quite the same - Pfaff don't even make a walking foot (except for their Grand Quilter machine).

In the end, I decided the main feature I want in a machine was an auto-pivot as I do a lot of appliqué and ended up buying a Pfaff Performance 5 - never regretted it. I love the Sensormatic mode for FMQ (where the foot 'hovers' above the fabric). Quilts like butter.

As the others have said, decide on how it's going to enhance your sewing experience and whether they're worth it to you.

Last edited by Knitette; 05-01-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:46 AM

I have had my Janome 8900 for nearly 3 years now. I love that machine! It will do anything I need and it is very user friendly. I also have a Bernina machine that I have had for several years. I like it too, but not as much as the Janome. It just seems that the Bernina is more picky about threads, lint, etc. The Bernina makes a beautiful stitch, and is a strong well built machine.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:02 AM

Lots of threads about machine brands - I think most of the higher end sewing machines are all pretty good, and it comes down to price, features and support. Again, my opinion, but I think we get very caught up in the "marketing" and find ourselves coveting things we really don't need. I've become very aware of this lately and try to fight the urge to splurge
Old 05-02-2016, 05:14 AM

If you like your sewing machine, why not get a dedicated sit down quilter? The price is near what the Bernina would be, and you could get 14-18" space, depending on what you end up with.

Pam
Old 05-02-2016, 05:49 AM
anonymous

I have the 8900 and the bernina 770Q. I like them both. I have a lot of feet for a bernina, and I really like bernina feet, so I knew I would probably buy another bernina. I think it makes a beautiful straight stitch. I also like the new piecing foot which works well for the 9mm feed dogs. I think bernina is over priced for everything. If I didn't already own so many feet, I may have checked out babylock instead. I have no complaints with my janome, I think it is a good dependable machine. I purchased my bernina after it had been used for a class. Full warranty and saved $1000. This dual setup works for me.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

I paid 1K for my Bernina 1530 and have been very happy with the purchase (new) but I would NOT spend that kind of money on a DSM. I am fine with still quilting on my old gal.

Welcome to the board!
Old 05-02-2016, 08:27 AM

I hear the janome dual feed is better. You have a lot of features on your janome so are you looking to upgrade or just have an additional machine. I have the dreamweaver by brother (unity on the babylock side) and can tell you the detachable dual feed and all it attachments beat any integrated dual feed I have seen. it is very powerful with its own motor. You can adjust the speed on it. It does thick layers, difficult fabrics, delicate fabrics well. There is nothing the dual feed cant handle. The harps space is large, the lights are bright. If you look at the crescendo over the Aria it also has the sew straight laser and the penpal system which both features are well loved but I like the pen more. You can use these machines on the new brother dream frame as well for midarm quilting. The frame is very nice that I am looking at investing in one soon. I am not sure on the features of the 770 but i did sew on the 550QE and was not too terribly impressed considering the price I really feel like with bernina you get less for you money and are paying more for the name on the side of the machine, but that is just my personal experience, you have to sew on one to decide if it is for you but I have heard better things on the janomes and it seems like you have a good machine. I agree for me I would just keep your machine and spend the money elsewhere