Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Challenge for me >

New Challenge for me

New Challenge for me

Old 12-05-2011, 11:08 PM

Default New Challenge for me

I was asked today to make a baby quilt. Its an art quilt of a large swirling flower. I have never done paper piecing before but I have watched many do this before and seen many videos online and the whole process appears to be quite simple. Do you guys this this would be something easily picked up? I am usually a very fast learner of new methods. With art quilting are there patterns to follow or do you just get a picture and make your own quilt fromt he picture??
Old 12-06-2011, 12:03 AM

art quilt is just a term referring to a more abstract style of quilt design. paper piecing is a technique that can be used to put together any style of quilt block. it is exacting to do and has exact results for careful matching, but just be prepared, it is extremely slow to do. you'll have to try it to see if you enjoy it, but most of the people i know use it sparingly for specific types of trim but others enjoy the detail you can achieve...just try it and see if it is for you...
Old 12-06-2011, 01:24 AM

Why not get just a little block to practice on so you know how to do it, then do the baby quilt. I think you can do it, let us see it when you are done, good luck.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:40 AM

Paper piecing can be intimidating and it will be slow going at first. I love it though because it helps me keep my points and keeps them lined up correctly. I can't do a straight log cabin with out PPing it! I agree you should try a simple block first, there are lots of free ones online

http://piecebynumber.com/pastbom/archbom.htm

http://www.caroldoak.com/free-quilt-patterns.php
Old 12-06-2011, 08:41 AM

Red face

Paper piecing is simple to pick up, but I do recommend Carol Doaks DVD that helps in the preparation of the fabrics, how to piece the blocks together so they always line up perfectly!!! If you follow her steps they turn out beautifully!!!!!!!