Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Consumer Reports ratings on steam irons in June 2011 issue >

New Consumer Reports ratings on steam irons in June 2011 issue

New Consumer Reports ratings on steam irons in June 2011 issue

Old 05-09-2011, 06:04 PM

I am reading with interest the June 2011 Consumer Reports issue that just came in the mail because it has results of new tests on 41 steam iron models.

The article gives more detailed analysis on 8 steam irons that they rated highest out of the 41 tested. The top 8 models all rated excellent or very good based on steaming rate, ironing fabrics and ease of use. The top 8 table also includes columns indicating whether these models offer features such as ability to turn off the steam, digital display and water spray function.

The top models were a little surprising since they include certain models from Kenmore and Singer as well as DeLonghi, Rowenta and Reliable brands. The conventional steam irons ranged from $60 to $125 and the two heavy-duty "steam ironing systems, best for big jobs" were priced at $130 and $250.

If you want to locate the ratings and models, it's on page 41 of the June 2011 Consumer Reports, which your local library should have available.

I may be the market for a new steam iron so I'd be interested in hearing what you love or hate about the iron you use; also whether there are certain must-have features.

I have a 20-year-old Rowenta but I am getting a little tired of the automatic turnoff feature, since it often turns off just when I need it during intensive sewing and I have to wait sometimes for it to heat up again.

thanks !

Wendy
Old 05-09-2011, 06:25 PM

I dropped my iron last week and now it leaks, I have to get a new one soon. I don't have time for library (work nights,they are never open when I am awake ) I look forward to following this thread.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:27 PM

Last time I lliked for an iron, I found hard to find one without a shut-off feature. I ended up with an inexpensive model of Black & Decker under $30. and it lasted at least 5 yrs. Even tho I am professional seamstress, I still will not pay over $50 for an iron. The one Rowenta I bought many yrs. ago, power-surged and melted a curtain panel I was working on for a customer. As a result, I never got another job from that customer.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:31 PM

I have and like my B&D...the Rowenta I have leaks and it was not dropped but I will say that it works well without the water added.Just have to use a squirt bottle with a fine spray.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:51 PM

I bought a Rowenta and it leaked within a year. Now I just buy something cheap and throw it away when it stops working properly. I really try to be "green" as much as possible but when you pay that much for an iron it should work for years and years. My B&D is great - could do without the automatic off but ....
Old 05-09-2011, 06:57 PM

I bought a Reliable about 2 months ago. Wonderful steam feature and, so far, no leaking. You can override the auto-shut off too. Love that feature. I prev had a Rowenta which was an ironing machine - and much better for my husbands work clothes than the Reliable is - but it started leaking after about 6 months. I hope the Reliable continues to not leak.....time will tell.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:27 PM

Have had 5 rewentas,never again.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:02 PM

I must have been lucky as I never had trouble with my Rowenta. But I recently bought myself a Reliable. At first I wasn't sure I liked it as it was so different - much heavier and doesn't have a 'shot of steam' like I was used to. But now I do really like it - there is a steam on/off button and the weight helps do some of the work.

I'll have to check out the article next time I'm in the library.....
Old 05-10-2011, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Cherylsea
I bought a Rowenta and it leaked within a year. Now I just buy something cheap and throw it away when it stops working properly. I really try to be "green" as much as possible but when you pay that much for an iron it should work for years and years. My B&D is great - could do without the automatic off but ....
I'm like you Cherylsea. I'd prefer to be green and maintain/repair rather than replace, but manufacturers have made that impossible. Now,like another member said, I just buy the least expensive thing that will do the job and get rid of it when it fails. I found a "dry" iron from the Vermont Country Store catalog that I use for pressing. If I need a spritz I use a water bottle. I've had it for a couple of years and the temp dial is a bit hinky and you have to remember to unplug it, but it does exactly what I need and no more. When bits fall off or stop working I will just toss it and get another. What a shame. I hate having to think this way.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:58 AM

I had a Rowenta and it leaked so I got a cheapie $2.99 B&D iron from Goodwill and love it. So if it ever dies I'll be checking at Goodwill so that's kinda being green , right?