New Entertainment Center

Old 05-09-2024, 04:56 AM

Default New Entertainment Center

I know this isn't related to anything sewing/quilting but it sort of is as now I have more room in my sewing room for projects/fabrics.

Anyway, since I moved to this 124 yo house 14 years ago, I've been wanting a new entertainment center to cover an entire wall in my living room but to look like it's always been there. My neighbor was going to make it last summer but his cancer got the best of him and I couldn't allow him to sweat over the idea he could no longer build it for me. I'd been pestering him for over 7 years as he's was a master carpenter so I knew he could do it.

Now the unit would be 9 feet tall to the ceiling, 14 feet wide from wall to wall but only 17 inches deep to stay flush with the chimney in the right corner. I have an idea to have a wine cabinet built similar to this unit up against the chimney. I have an extreme collection of DVD movies, over 2,000 at last count so this unit needed to be able to house all of them and any future DVD buys. Chase, my carpenter came up with the idea to have swing outs so I'd have 2 rows of DVDs and still be able to see them. He put swing outs in all the bottom cabinets and the 2 tall one on either side of the TV. He used soft close hingest and I picked out oiled antique bronze hardware. Took them 1.5 days to put it all in, set it up, add all the shelves and put the original baseboard trim back at the base of the open walls. They did a fabulous job and I'm so happy with it. There will be a library type ladder coming so I can reach the top shelves and just roll it to where ever I need it to be.

I took a photo of the old cabinet I had for over 30 years back when TVs were big and ackward and heavy. It was made out of solid cherry wood so I tried to find a new home for it. This new one is made out of red oak to match my wood trim, doors were made by the Amish and the interior is solid maple.

Hope you like it as much as I do. Now to start moving all my DVDs out from the basement and upstairs to fill all these shelves.
Attached Thumbnails old-entertainment-center.jpg   9fthx14ftlx17ind.jpg   pullouts.jpg  
Old 05-09-2024, 05:23 AM

Wow, that is beautiful and functional. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-09-2024, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

That's really nice. Have you watched the oldest cd you have lately? One of our favorite years old cd will not play, it is corrupt due to age not use according to the computer repair shop.
Old 05-09-2024, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Great Wall Unit--Enjoy
Old 05-09-2024, 08:30 AM

I am of fan of maximum storage space (cabinets) so Wow! perfect place for that custom piece. You will enjoy that as long as you live in that house
Old 05-10-2024, 01:10 AM

That is one awesome cabinet.that wood is beautiful. I love the swing outs, what a great idea. You must just look at it in admiration, it really is a lovely piece.
Old 05-10-2024, 03:32 AM

That is beautifully designed and made. It really does look like it was always there.
Old 05-10-2024, 03:59 AM

Beautiful!
Old 05-10-2024, 04:57 AM

OnebyGone, I've been going thru all my DVDs from the "A"s and now into the "M"s. I have found 2 DVDs that will play halfway thru and then freeze. I ejected them and then put them back in, still the same freezes at that one place in the movie. I tried fast forwarding past that spot and still freezes. Why is a mystery but of course they have to be a couple of my favorites. One being John Wayne's Chisum and the other is Mel Gibson's Forever Young. I thought I'd just order new ones but hard to find or the price is beyond my limit. Sometimes my BluRay won't play a certain disk but if I replace it with another and then go back to that disk, it will play. Have no clue on that either.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:14 AM

Absolutely gorgeous! I would be thrilled with it, as I’m sure you are!