Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Fabric Moratorium

New Fabric Moratorium

Hi All: Someone presented the idea of a moratorium against new fabric buying this year. How is everyone holding out? It's only January 19th and I'm losing my resistance. Have a cart just ready to check out at Connecting Threads but have vowed to at least wait until February 1st. I can think of a gazillion perfectly good reasons to add to my ridiculously large stash I'll never live long enough to use up. Fabric-holoics of the Board unit!

Ahem: on the other hand, one never knows how high cotton will go, does one? So the valid arguement might be instead that, "I need to buy while the prices are low"...what 'cha think?? JK, tongue in cheek!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    I really, really meant to behave, but I just couldn't pass up this awesome bargain. I just placed my third order (this time for approx 24 yards) with Cuddle-Bugs. My first two orders yielded some wonderful, quality fabrics. Cuddle-bugs is going out of business and selling their cotton fabrics for .... an amazing $2.00 per yard. Everything I received is top quality, name brands with a lovely, almost silky hand.

So toss caution to the wind as you will never find this price again.

http://www.cuddle-bugs.com/fabric-collections.php
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

Actually, I've done far better than I thought I would. I haven't bought any new fabric, but I bought 2 books at our guild "auction" for $1.00 I thought that was all right.

Linda George

That is a mean thing to do, tempt people trying not to buy new fabric! After I buy mine, I will start over on the moratorium.lol hehehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
    I really, really meant to behave, but I just couldn't pass up this awesome bargain. I just placed my third order (this time for approx 24 yards) with Cuddle-Bugs. My first two orders yielded some wonderful, quality fabrics. Cuddle-bugs is going out of business and selling their cotton fabrics for .... an amazing $2.00 per yard. Everything I received is top quality, name brands with a lovely, almost silky hand.

So toss caution to the wind as you will never find this price again.

http://www.cuddle-bugs.com/fabric-collections.php
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
    Hi All: Someone presented the idea of a moratorium against new fabric buying this year. How is everyone holding out? It's only January 19th and I'm losing my resistance. Have a cart just ready to check out at Connecting Threads but have vowed to at least wait until February 1st. I can think of a gazillion perfectly good reasons to add to my ridiculously large stash I'll never live long enough to use up. Fabric-holoics of the Board unit!
    You are an inabeler!!! I looked I saw I almost placed an order!! Great Sale but I need to hold firm! LOL At least untill the sew Expo in March than all bets are off! LOL

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    i failed miserably....

Blog Entries
    I only have a small stash so forget the moratorium!

I hope to use a lot of my stash this year but it's hard to resist a sale.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

I usually have no trouble resisting fabric as I have a large (DH says enormous) stash and fabric at our LQS here in Ontario Canada is $14.95 a metre (better than some others at $16.95 or $17.95). I run into trouble when I find a really good sale like the one at a Mennonite shop that had five shelves of fabric on for $2.99 a metre which is unheard of any place else. It was mostly florals which they say are not moving well but there were a couple of Orientals that were gorgeous. I couldn't resist and bought $30 worth.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
    I'm still hanging in there, but, it is VERY HARD when fellow board members tell us of fabulous sales (Sunnie). Ohhhhhhhhh the enablers! I have a substanial stash as my DH would say, but, this is the second year I'm participating in the Moratorium, so needless to say, it has taken quite a hit.
    Quilting is my PASSION not my pass time.
    If Your DREAMS don"t Scare You...Then They Are NOT Big Enough!!!Dare to DREAM!

www.quilterella.ca

I am really trying to not purchase anything. the majority of the quilts I make are for charity or to give to someone I know who is in need, perhaps they are ill or have had a tragedy in their life and a quilt can provide comfort. I have pretty much vowed that I will ask friends first if they may have what I need instead of heading to Fabric Depot or LQS. there have been many kind board members who have sent me their UFO's and orphan blocks. I love working with them and so far have pretty much had what I needed to complete them.

Well, I was doing okay until I was presented with another quilt request. It required me to buy 3 coordinating fabrics, 1 for backing and 2 for sashing and binding. Doesn't that make it okay to buy more fabric?

I tried this last year. It didn't work. I know myself better than trying again this year and being disappointed in myself. I just bought my first quilt kit. I usually buy only yardage. It was on sale on the Jinny Beyer website. I hope I don't regret buying the kit.
    Marie

I have done well so far, but there are a lot of sales right now. I'm weakening.

Blog Entries
    I knew better than to sign up for that! I am trying to only buy what I need to fill in after I use fabric from my stash which is way to large to ever use in my lifetime. Oh well...I do love fabric and am desperately trying to be good but in a LQS it is impossible!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

So far I have not bought any new fabric, but did buy a quilt magazine and 1/2 yard of fabric at a guild meeting for 75 cents. I figure buying used is okay. But I am going to Road to California tomorrow and may give in to temptation.

I just loaded up on needles and rotary cutter blades (various sizes) AND just bought a Lynne Edwards cathedral window ruler to use up some of those really nice bali scraps and bali charms I have. Whatever's left of the bali scraps get turned into either mile-a-minute quilt blocks OR Chinese coin or braid rectangles.

I also bought several yards of 108" white, cream and unbleached muslin and solid black to use up all the colored scraps and FQs I have. It'll be used for sashing or background. For me, the moratorium is on "fun fabric" (anything other than utilitarian muslin or solid black fabric). I'll piece my backings, possible piece wide(r) outer borders, and make-do THAT way.

I have turned down close to two dozen opportunities to go shopping for fabric this year, and it feels good. VERY GOOD. I consider my purchases staying ahead of price increases while still sticking to the core of the moratorium (making do with what you have).
    Last edited by Wunder-Mar; 01-22-2012 at 05:42 PM.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

I wasn't trying to be good, but thanks to Sunnie, I've sent an inquiry to Cuddle Bug. Pretty fabrics, unbeatable price. Rather silly since I've spent the last two days cleaning out the basement & consolidating my fabric collection... oh well.
    Shannon

I was doing really good until Friday. I went with a friend to 3 quilt shops. Oh well, maybe next year.

I've done great! No fabric purchased at all! (But we won't talk about all the lampwork beads I've purchased this year.)

Senior Member Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations's Avatar
    Good luck to everyone in resisting the urge the urge to not buy fabric. I have been able not to buy as instead I have bills to pay first and anything left over........hahaha I dont have anything left over. My quilting business is really starting to pick up and anything I make extra is going to save for a honeymoom as we have been married two years now and have not been able to afford a trip yet.

I am doing alright so far. 22 days out of 356. Not to bad!!!
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

So far so good here! I haven't bought anything new and have actually made a quilt from my stash that I should actually be quilting right now. I have a long way to go till the end of December, though, and people posting great sales here in not helping!

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
    i failed miserably....
    Sew did I to be sure,
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast