Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: That new fabric smell

GMA
    it's the new fabric smell that sends my asthma to the next level. Wash everything when it comes in the house. can't spend too much time in the fabric stores or I'm a coughing.

The smell doesn't get me as much as the feel of new fabric - that I'd have to go to meetings for! I just love the feel of a new batch of fabric :lol: :lol:

I am a touchy feely type of gal too! A real fabric fondler!!! I am so bad about it I might end up being the first "Registered Fabric Fondler Offender" :lol: :lol: !! Try saying that 3 times! :D

Me, too. An addicted fabric-a-holic. NOTHING compares to daydreaming in a fabric store for a few hours.

I don't mind washing it, though, because then I get to starch and iron and pet the fresh clean fabric, and that is cool, too. My DH thinks I am absolutely nuts.

But then, I remind him how he is about cars and motorcycles, and he shuts up.

I know just what you mean. I love that smell. Makes me happy all over. :D

I like all the different fabric, food, flower etc. smells I'm just delighted that my smeller still works!

I love the smell of new fabrics too! And also when you open a new bag of Hershey's Kisses, just yum! I think I can add a pound just by smelling that candy. Another favorite is the smell of a new box of crayons, wonderful childhood memories come back, my grandmother's kitchen table and a sheet of drawing paper.

JS
    NO, you are not alone. I also love that smell and when I smell it it always brings a smile to my face I have noticed recently.

JS
    Good Grief !!! Can this be true? I wonder why they would use that.What is in that stuff anyway?

Blog Entries
    My name is Joanne, and I'm a fabriholic.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're all nuts!!!!

BTW - me too!!! DH thinks I'm stark staring bonkers and if I find a fabric shop on our travels he just rolls his eyes and goes to wait outside! :shock: :D

Somewhere i read about all the chemicals...not good...my sewing room smells strong of this, if its closed tight...even in the winter 'i crack the window...to air it out....I have inviremental allergies...this is from man made chemial allergies. I probably should wash it all..but i just don't have the time, and i hate ironing..press a seam yes iron yardor 2 no lol

Read this artricle...its real yuck
    http://www.coopamerica.org/programs/...abricSmell.cfm

I also love the smell of new fabric. It's rite up there with the smell of new leather shoes. These smells bring back so many good memories like getting ready to go back to school in the fall :D :D also the smell of fresh ironing, fresh bread and home made chicken soup. Smells bring back memories faster and more vividly than any thing else. I will also admit being a fabrihalic, but I refuse to take the pledge. My family has threatened me with an intervention and an exorcism but I'm holding my ground. I tell them that if I didn't have this one vice I would be perfect and that wouldn't be good. :!: :!: :!:

Blog Entries
    Oh --- I love the 'I would be perfect' comment!

I just love the new fabric smell also. You could take me blindfolded into a quilt shop and I'd know what kind of shop we were in! It ranks right up there with the "new car" smell and it's not nearly as expensive!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    It ranks right up there with the "new car" smell and it's not nearly as expensive!
    Not sure my DH would agree with you in my case, Joyce! :lol:

Blog Entries
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    It ranks right up there with the "new car" smell and it's not nearly as expensive!
    Not sure my DH would agree with you in my case, Joyce! :lol:
    :lol: :lol: Well, maybe not all at once anyway!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    The smell you are all raving about is formaldehyde, used as a finish to prevent winkles, deter insects, and stop mildew. It is used extensively in the textile industry and is a known hazard. http://www.nycosh.org/workplace_hazards/formal.html
    Thank you for this information. That can explain my problem with coughing when I go into a fabric store. Also my hands itcing when I sew. Well so much for my love of new fabrics. I am now a firm believer in prewashing fabrics. Aw, shucks. Now I wish I knew how to send this information for my daughter to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Quilter
    I love that new fabric smell and feel too, It pains me to prewash fabrics, but I have found from experience the hard way and it is a necessary evil. But until I throw my newly purchased fabrics in the wash, I linger over them as long as I can.
    ExtremeQuilter, you can always buy those scented starches, to put a nice smell back into your fabrics. I know they have lavendar and lemon, not sure what else :D

give me the smell of new fabric over new car smell. I think I'm the only person that tells them to get the smell out of there. It makes me "carsick." Literally- nauseated, queasy, want to vomit.

I asked last year when i bought my Jeep- the salesman thought I was nuts. DH told him to get it out the best they can. It would be better than "ralphing" over the new interior.

Mmmmm-mmmm...
    Love that new fabric scent.
    Does anyone know if they've made it into a perfume yet? I'll be first in line to buy it.

Not necessarily embalming fluid, but textiles and other new things are treated with formaldehyde. Just a word of caution. Sizing chemicals make the fabric look and feel wonderful, but it's not very healthy. I moonlight at a fabric store so I am exposed to this stuff fairly frequently. I try to protect my hands and when I bring fabric home I wash it or let it air out before I store it and use it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2