Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new to FMQ >

new to FMQ

new to FMQ

Old 02-21-2014, 07:02 AM

Default new to FMQ

I am self thought quilter and learning FMQ on my Juki. My recent quilt poses some challange because I wanted to quilt as it was in the magazine, that includes feathers. I have never done it before and was not eager to do that pattern. After quilting background triangles in wiggly pattern the center blocks needed quilting and I decided to give the feathers a try. Did several trials on test blocks and then started quilting.

It was going quite well, the feathers were coming out fine, fine for me, but when I finally stopped and took a look at the quilt I was so upset for using the same variegated thread that I used on the cream blocks. I am more then half way done and not sure if I should continue with that thread on this blocks or use coordinated thread. I would mean lots of work.
Having so many wonderful quilters on this forum I was wondering if I could get some opinion/advice from you ladies?
thank you
Attached Thumbnails q-2.jpg   q-1.jpg  
Old 02-21-2014, 07:10 AM

I think it looks fine and your feathers are great! Plus the stitching will 'blend in' more after the quilt is washed and crinkles up. I also have a Juki and haven't gotten up the nerve to do FMQ yet, so you give me some courage to keep practicing. That is another reason to keep going, practice will only improve your skills. I also struggle with thread colors in quilting as I prefer my stitching to blend in, but think yours look great. Any several posts on this board recommend going with light colors on darker fabrics just as you have done. Just keep going and finish it!
Old 02-21-2014, 07:40 AM

You just started FMQing? Your feathers look great! I still haven't gotten up the nerve to attempt them. Keep it up!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

I vote to keep going as you have. Once you finish and have your eyes off the stitches you are doing, It will come together just fine. We learn by doing.....sew.....just keep doing Beautiful quilt!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:33 AM

Your feathers look great! Bravo on your courage to jump right in. By the time you finish all those squares you will be a master!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:39 AM

Step away from the machine. Please, step away from the sewing machine. LOL. I think that once you just take a breather and look at it from a distance you will be happy with it. Don't doubt yourself. You are doing a great job, so just keep up the good work. Besides, taking out all those stitches would take forever. Just think about all that cutting, piecing & quilting you could have done if you weren't tearing them out. Finish it and chock it up to a learning curve. You are braver than I am. I can't get up the courage to try feathers yet. GOOD JOB, Mtkoldra.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:02 AM

I agree with all the comments - especially step away from the machine! Look at the big picture instead of only one block. Just keep going and have fun! The quilt police won't come knocking on your door!
Old 02-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

my first thoughts were the same as jeanne's. .. you are doing very well.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:31 AM

Looks great! It looks like the variegated thread isn't disappearing, sometimes one color fades into the background making it look like you forgot to stitch there. So I think you're fine. Love the feathers, I haven't attempted them yet.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:02 PM

Ladies, thank you for your comments and encouragement. I still have a lot to learn about quilting.
I was surprised how easy it was to do Feathers, watched couple YouTube sessions, did some drawing on a paper and went right into it. My stitches are getting better, although I wish that my sewing machine had stitch regulator, but we can not have everything. This is one of the YouTubes that I have watched several times. For my project I have made a 'stencil' that fit into the block.
Thank you again, You are the greatest!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1uknly4H1c
Attached Thumbnails q-3.jpg