Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New FMQ tool >

New FMQ tool

New FMQ tool

Old 12-21-2010, 07:43 AM

Has anyone tried the "Fabulous Fabric Guide"? I received an email ad for this notion and I wondered if anyone has had any experience with it? Here is the link for a further description:

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html code=390700&source=EVLC9BF
Old 12-21-2010, 07:45 AM

I can't get it to pull up the tool. Sniff sniff
Old 12-21-2010, 07:51 AM

Think this is it
http://www.creativegrids.com/acatalog/info_5_N0567.html

I imagine you can get the same effect by using a wooden embroidery hoop underneath the quilt.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:55 AM

Katrine - thanks for the additional link - I was wondering if the bottom had some type and "grip" to it - and your photo shows that it seems to. Now, if we can just find out if it helps!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

I think there are several other brands on the market, but I have never used them.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:16 AM

Yes, I have. I bought them at the Georgia Quilt Show. I have only used them on smaller projects and loved them. It took a little bit to get used to the feel of guiding rather than pushing hard since there's no need to push hard but instinct wanted me to do that. I found it to be a challenge in FM a large quilt as there was so much fabric on either side.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:41 AM

I have two of these - one can nest inside the other, if you want it to.

It works a little better than the quilt halo (which for me was a *complete* waste of time) but honestly, I do much better with my rubberized spandex gloves. (or even my bare hands)

Both of these kinds of quilting "frames" require you to make a repetitive or continuous pinching motion - this is so hard on your hands and wrists!

Plus, you have to keep picking up the frame and placing it somewhere else - it blocks your vision of where you need to go next, so it interrupts the "flow" of designs.

It's easier on the hands than the halo because it's thicker, (so you don't have to grip so small) and it's got a cut-out in the back so that you can manuever it around the presser foot more easily than the halo.

But I tried and tried and couldn't get around the inconveniences of using this kind of thing. I keep asking myself, what exactly are these things supposed to do that gloved hands can't do?

When I first got into quilting, I tried a lot of things that were supposed to help me do beautiful FMQ more easily, but very few of them really work as well as I wanted them to. (I haven't found a magic substitute for putting in the work, darn it! ;) )
Old 12-21-2010, 08:49 AM

This is exactly what I needed to know!! Thank you!! I am just beginning with FMQ, but I have found that I do better with "sort quik" on my bare hands, rather than gloves. Is that weird?
Old 12-21-2010, 08:58 AM

I think "sort quick" would leave a waxy film on the fabric that may or may not come out - I personally wouldn't do it. I bought this notion instead of the quilt halo because I discovered I'm a GRIPPER and I like the thick handles this guide has on both sides of the open area - compared to the quilt halo that you put just one or two fingers on. Yes, it has grippers - big ones. I'm still very new to FMQ but this helped a lot. IMHO.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:01 AM

No, not weird at all - lots of people have good results with it, and I should try it, myself.

Anything to give your fingers and the sides of your hands more traction should be an improvement. :)