Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New ideas for borders

I would take off the blue and do the whole boarder in the pretty purple. I held my hand up against the blue the the purple made the quilt come alive even more! Or I would take away the purple and blue and add a soft green to match the light green in the quilt. Just my opinion. It is pretty the way it is.

I like the picture exactly as it is. It sets off the rest of the quilt.

Blog Entries
    Definitely Plain borders. Somewhere for the eye to rest.

I would go with either the blue or purple but not both. I would do about the same width as the blue with which ever was chosen but split it and have a narrow white stripe running through the center to tie it to the quilt top.

What a beautiful quilt you have made. IMO, I think the dark blue is to much for it, but the purple brings out the rest of the pattern. If you do want the blue in the border, try a thin blue border where you have the purple & a wider purple around that. Just my thought.

I feel when you have a very busy pattern that solid borders (with a flair like your cornerstones) show off the design better.

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    What a beautiful quilt you have made. IMO, I think the dark blue is to much for it, but the purple brings out the rest of the pattern. If you do want the blue in the border, try a thin blue border where you have the purple & a wider purple around that. Just my thought.
    My thoughts, exactly.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

I like Mom3's design or KarenK's idea. It will be beautiful no matter what you decide. Would love to see picture after of finished quilt!

I like the border you have chosen and remember that they can be dressed up with some awesome quilting in the borders. The quilting in the center is not really going to show, so let the quilting shine in the borders. You will love it!

If you think its boring, just spice it up when you quilt it. I find a dull quilt looks totally different once its been quilted. The quilting can make it look absolutely fabulous. Just my opinion though.

Suz in Iowa

Blog Entries
    I like what you are showing, but if it were me I would use a really pretty light green with the purple you have on it now. That is just my opion. But I do love your quilt. I am sure that it will be pretty with what ever you decide to use on the borders. HUGS
    Have a great day, grannyp70

Power Poster

question on borders

Quote Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
    This is a quilt that is pieced and on my design wall, no borders yet. Since the design is busy I think that solid borders work better but I also realize this isn't very exciting. What would you do?
    I think the quilt is lovely just the way it is. I think that there is a lot going on in the quilt and the solid borders contain it and give the quilt top billing. It is a beautiful quilt and I love the colors.

I like the layout. Personally, I think solid borders are perfect on such a busy quilt. (Busy in a good way!) Solid borders kind of "stop" it, if you know what I am saying. Nice quilt!
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
    This is a quilt that is pieced and on my design wall, no borders yet. Since the design is busy I think that solid borders work better but I also realize this isn't very exciting. What would you do?
    Well, no one has said this yet. I would take everything off down to the main pieced portion, then add just the white background for a border, not too wide, but finish each star on the side and corners into the white. The white needs to be just a little wider than the amount needed for the stars so that they float.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    It is gorgeous. Don't change a thing. Love it.

It is beautiful. That being said, if it were my quilt I would replace the dark purple with the background color of the stars. In my PC, they show up as a creamy color. You may also want to invision it in the room in which it will be placed when choosing the border colors. This quilt has numerous colors and can be used in virtually any color bedroom, but the dark purple would not go in a red or dark blue room, for example.
    Also, did you know that you can turn off the grid so you just see the quilt without all the lines? Just Google "turning off the grid in ---------" ( Fill blank with the particular program you used, such as EQ, Excel, Word, or Bernina Quilting software)
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I like the plain borders, they help show off the rest of the quilt. Or as someone suggested, maybe applique flowers and vines, but nothing busier than that.
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

Knew you guys would help me. Love many of the ideas. Many discussed the actual color of the boarders, when I actually make my decision, will audition different colors to see what happens. One thing this is a EQ quilt so it isn't exactly the same scraps that were used, so the color distribution may be different. The only limitation is that I will be shopping my stash.

Many suggested making the plain boarders pop with quilting, love this idea, have seen some really great quilting on this board. The spirit is willing but the skill level is weak. Just did my first FM, the door is open but the light isn't on. So that idea will have to wait for another quilt.

Ah applique, never done it, is on my bucket list. Love the way it looks with vines and flowers in the border. Especially partial to the Jacobean style. Yet another quilt.

Mom3's suggestion really caught my eye. (Thanks for the drawing.) The angled stars made all the difference, will do this for sure. It removed the blockiness and made the borders more a part of the quilt. Like the idea of extending the unfinished stars into the borders on the sides as well but don't want to lose the simplicity. Will do some experimenting and use the blocks Mom3 suggested if it seems busy.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions, so glad I asked.

Emma, your quilt is beautiful. You have some great suggestions to consider. I know you will find one (or several) suggestions to border your quilt.

I agree with a more neutral border so the quilt could be used with any color on the walls....maybe a softer color so the top with pop....the focus is the top and not so much the border....special effects in the quilting of the border is an excellent idea and wouldn't detract from the top.....appliques etc would draw the eye away from the top (IMHO).

Quilting involves a lot of decisions! Do what makes your heart sing Let us know and see what you decide. Thanks for sharing this morning.

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

Quote Originally Posted by QandE2010 View Post
    It is beautiful. That being said, if it were my quilt I would replace the dark purple with the background color of the stars. In my PC, they show up as a creamy color. You may also want to invision it in the room in which it will be placed when choosing the border colors. This quilt has numerous colors and can be used in virtually any color bedroom, but the dark purple would not go in a red or dark blue room, for example.
    Also, did you know that you can turn off the grid so you just see the quilt without all the lines? Just Google "turning off the grid in ---------" ( Fill blank with the particular program you used, such as EQ, Excel, Word, or Bernina Quilting software)
    I too think the colors of the borders you've shown are too intense. All my eyes go to are the magenta border and the dark purpley blue outer border. Have you tried any other colors from within the blocks, for borders? Also thinking about the room this will live in and what it's colors are are something to consider.

I like it the way it is.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    The first thing I saw when I looked at it was the too strong boarders, I have to agree that something simple a white floater and some thing not as strong as the darker blue and purple..also not as wide !

I think it is very pretty, especially, the star pattern in the corners. I love your design and the colors!

Your quilt is lovely and others have given some really interesting ideas to help you make a decision. My thought moves to the binding. I really enjoy a striped fabric binding that is cut on the bias. Whether you decide to make your border lighter (or like the background) finishing it with a striped binding that has many of the quilt colors in it just draws a lovely finish. It also tends to emphasize the lovely quilting you plan for the solid color border-how about a verigrated thread there?

Might try the purple you have as a boarder or leave it like it is and just use the purple as the binding.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast